Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my raptor Wednesday new.

Read post #3 too.

There is a loud rattling noise coming from the engine. You can hear it pretty loud at idle. There is also a rattling as I drive down the road. These noises are metallic in nature.

I am good at tracking down typical rattles on a machine, but this seems to be coming from the engine.

Does this engine typically make a lot of noise?

Has anyone else experienced this and identified it?

Thanks.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
Re: Valve Train Noise?

Could be the washer on bottom left of your motor, mine rattles too, forgot what it's on, reverse fork i think...i had a gytr screen that rattled too, i took it off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Valve Train Noise?

All the bolts are tight including the exhaust heat shield, etc. I took off the plastic skid plate, then I checked it a bit closer while moving my head around the engine. The noise is coming from the bottom, the crank case.

It's loud. That makes me nervous.

Does your 700 do the same?

Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yep pretty common on these. You can check your valves with the "HOW TO" I did under the other threads. There's noise the comes from the clutch and in general it's just louder then other types of ATV's. Gixxers have always been a very loud engine on them "bikes" but run like a raped date and run and run and run :thumbsup:

M

·
Registered
37 Posts
that rattling you are hearing is probably the chain rolling around your front gear. Mine is rather loud also, took a while to realize what it was, but a good lube on your chain should fix it, also make sure it is at the proper tightness

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike,
I looked at the write up on the valve adjustment. It is awesome. Thanks for the work.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
What did the place you bought it from say about the noise? I'm sure any reputable shop would be willing to diagnose something on a brand new quad they just sold.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
does your rattle sound come from all gears and get worse under hard acceleration? If it does I have that problem too, I think it has to do with the chain or rollers or something, I am still trying to figure out mine :eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you have an aftermarket skid plate than that may be the problem. mine did that so i put rubber between the skidplate and frame to stop the noise.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Mpeav said it right, they are just kinda noisy. I have known certain engines in my day that are just noisy in nature but there is nothing wrong with them. Once you get used to it you wont even notice them anymore. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
that would be the engine, get used to it....... and hang on

·
Registered
103 Posts
Machy said:
does your rattle sound come from all gears and get worse under hard acceleration? If it does I have that problem too, I think it has to do with the chain or rollers or something, I am still trying to figure out mine :eek:
We had three 700R with the same problem :unsure:so we replaced the std chain roller which only has one bearing on the outer and a steel tube, 2/3 of the inter. We replaced it with a after market MX two wheeler twin bearing type and it fixed all three bikes. Cost $32.95 AUS
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mine is loud also i'm sure it's just the way the motor is just loud :burnout: :moon: :stickpoke:

Michael

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have duels and still here the clacking! I think it has something to do with the 51t sprocket, I'm going to try a new chain when I get around to it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ryans Roostin Raptor said:
Put on a loud pipe and stay on the gas ... you won't hear that chit no more. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Haha I was about to post the same thing till I already saw it :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts