Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started jumping my new raptor yesterday. I was hittin a jump in 4th gear just cuisin and going about 30-35 ft landing on a downgrade soft area. Its a fun jump but as I started getting bigger the front was bottoming hard. So I got out my trusty tool kit and started playing with the compression settings. After a couple adjustments I was landing softer and no bottoming. That was my first time adjusting these and I was very impressed. I should be able to dial these in real nice with a little trial and error practice. Definitely worth the extra money for the SE models.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good to hear!! Suspension upgrades are awesome, arent they? I had the same experience with the SE shocks. However, over time you'll find yourself hitting bigger jumps, running whoops faster, ect. You'll also get sick of getting the screwdriver out everytime you need to make an adjustment! If you're like me and always looking for something to improve the ride of your Raptor, I give you 6 months if fiddling with the SE's before you have a set of Elks or Fox's on order!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wallet hopes you are wrong, but you are prolly right. I bought the GYTR 700 so I wouldn't have to spend much money modding it like I did on my warrior. Had it two weeks and have bought, nerf bars, grab bar, hand guards, slip on pipe, dobeck, pro flow, and warning label plates. Its a disease that I really don't want to cure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
GYTR700SHUFF said:
My wallet hopes you are wrong, but you are prolly right. I bought the GYTR 700 so I wouldn't have to spend much money modding it like I did on my warrior. Had it two weeks and have bought, nerf bars, grab bar, hand guards, slip on pipe, dobeck, pro flow, and warning label plates. Its a disease that I really don't want to cure.
:'( I'd just be happy with SE Rub it in guys I bottom so bad on my standard shocks and that's only at 25'foot :crazy:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
oic10z said:
GYTR700SHUFF said:
:'( I'd just be happy with SE Rub it in guys I bottom so bad on my standard shocks and that's only at 25'foot :crazy:
Only a 25' LOL you guys are crazy. I like my stock shocks, but then I am not crazy like you guys.

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
GYTR700SHUFF said:
Actually you can get those shocks rebuilt pretty cheap from TCS. Joe had mine redone for a few hundred bucks, and now they are the Zero Preload setup; talk about nice jumps and whoops! :thumbsup: Tey are hand built for you personally and they are WAY cheaper than buying Elka, and from what others have told me, the quality is better than Elka. Here's the link, the guys name is Joe, really knows his shit.

http://atvsuspensiontech.net/tcs.htm

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
What year SE shocks are y'all so happy with? They are completely different in '07 versus '06.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The 07 SE front shocks are reservoir shocks and from what everyone is saying they are better than the yfz front shocks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
GYTR700SHUFF said:
Where did you pick up your warning label plates? :help:

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got them on ebay, HEP products is the seller. They have an ebay store also.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
GYTR700SHUFF said:
Got them on ebay, HEP products is the seller. They have an ebay store also.
Thanks Huff

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can someone give me some accurate settings for my suspension on my se as i am bottoming out my bike on every jump i do, do i adjust the springs or the shocks themselves? You can see the size of the jumps i am doin from the pics on my other posts(ahipara sand dunes and port waikato sand dunes). Currently i have just wound my springs down two or three turns and shocks are six clicks back from top.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Same question. . . How do I set up the front end so I don't bottom-out?

Thanks.

Oh, I weigh about 225#.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I i weigh bout 185

·
Registered
965 Posts
No one can tell you where to set your suspension. Everyone has a different riding style, everyone likes a different ride, and we all have different types of terrain.

You are going to have to adjust them and test them on your own...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ancient Kiwi said:
Can someone give me some accurate settings for my suspension on my se as i am bottoming out my bike on every jump i do, do i adjust the springs or the shocks themselves? You can see the size of the jumps i am doin from the pics on my other posts(ahipara sand dunes and port waikato sand dunes). Currently i have just wound my springs down two or three turns and shocks are six clicks back from top.
As said no such thing as the "perfect settings" however as a guide;

I would start by returning everything to stock (refer your owners manual).

Set the rear spring by using the 30% sag method.

Six clicks from the top, which would make it about 16 clicks out from fully firm, is a bit on the soft side given standard is around 12 from memory. Go back to 12 and downwards (11-10-9 etc) whilst experimenting over jumps until you find the happy medium between bottoming out and having too firm a landing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'll look in my manual tonight. . . see if it explains things very well.

I did adjust the pre-load on my old DS and liked it much better. . . I don't want to bottom out this bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
DuneMe said:
I'll look in my manual tonight. . . see if it explains things very well.

I did adjust the pre-load on my old DS and liked it much better. . . I don't want to bottom out this bike.
Hey there was a post on here to a link about setting up shocks here it is
http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192286
Sounds pretty easy to me tells you how to do the basic 3 things to get a good set up for you .

Steve
Australia WA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts