Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys,
it seems as soon as i fix one problem another one pops up. Now that my carbs are spot on, i have another problem. Well apparently i was leaking oil the whole 42 mile trail ride and as soon as i get into town the engine shuts off (without knowing while im going 40-50 mph). while holding the clutch in i shift into 2nd let go of the clutch and i hear grinding. i know its not the clutch cuz i just put a new one in there and it was fine the whole ride. I checked the oil and there was not 1 drop in the tank. no the engine is not seazed, it will crank over. so my question is, does the 03 raptor have a low oil shutoff?
thanks guys

·
Registered
267 Posts
as far as i know they do not.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The only low oil shut off it has is when it locks up.

Running low or out of oil will cause heat. Parts grow / expand. Damage done. Engine cools down and the parts contract alowing the engine to turn over.

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
No. Only thing that stops the engine due to lack of oil is damage.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
! what do you think i damaged? i ordered a new gasket from where it was leaking from and should be here by weekend.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Atleast pull the rocker box off the top of the head to check the cam out. As willykiller said the cam and head will suffer damage first. So if it is damaged anywhere it will be there.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Remove the cam and check the cam journals at the head surface, they have the most load on them, also look at the rocker arm pads and cam lobes, these need critical lubrication since they are all friction surfaces, the rest of the engine is bearings and can survive for a short time without proper lubrication except the piston, it needs splash lubrication at all times................

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay. how long should that take?

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
If you're an expert, a few minutes... if you're a rookie, a few hours. You decide.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im not a rookie, but no mechanic. you think i can wait, put the new gasket on, and see if it runs first, or will it damage more, and cost me more time and money.??

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yea the top cover is just Yamabond 4. Use that and not the the RTV or Ultra sealers from the parts store.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Would be best to know exactly how bad it got, and what all has been damaged. The cost of repair could be as low as a few hundred dollars if you don't have much wrong, can do all the work yourself, and find good deals on used parts. Or you could be at the point where you're better off taking the engine to a scrap yard than rebuilding it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
and i also figured there is not that much oil in the engine.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
do you think i totally trashed it? how much do you think it would be to have a mechanic at $75 an hour and a new hot cam,

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
There is absolutely NO way we can tell you how much work is involved nor how much it will cost.

Next time, if you watch your oil more carefully, it will cost a whole lot less to keep running.

Sorry, not trying to be flip with your current problems, but you are asking questions that do not have answers except to avoid the problems in the first place.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
do you think i totally trashed it? how much do you think it would be to have a mechanic at $75 an hour and a new hot cam, bored and bottom end. $1500?
I have dismantled and reassembled raptor engines several times in the past, including my own. Going from my own experience, I would get someone with a lot of experience on raptors to do the job for you if you do not feel qualified.
I can completely take an engine apart and put it back together in a few hours, but if there are repairs to be made, this all adds to the cost, such as changing bearings, boring and hone finishing, valve job, etc..........

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.