Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I am new to The Raptor Forum and I am buying a 2003 raptor 660r tomorrow (February 12 2012) and I am going to have about $200.00 to work with. And I am going to want to lower it. I want to be able to go around corners pretty fast but still be able to jump some. I am about 5'9 and around 120 pounds just to give you a idea about my size if that matters. Also the 660 is all stock to my knowledge. Also I don't mind saving up a little. (like $100 or so but it would be nice to get it done with $200.00)

Thank's in advance. I am confident I'll get the answers I want.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Flip the rear linkage and buy some stock banshee (14" or so) or Raptor350/warrior (even shorter) shocks off ebay for 50 bucks or less. It might not handle better but it'll be lower and you will still be able to jump it without worrying as much about the front end breaking apart like with a lowering kit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flip the rear linkage and buy some stock banshee (14" or so) or Raptor350/warrior (even shorter) shocks off ebay for 50 bucks or less. It might not handle better but it'll be lower and you will still be able to jump it without worrying as much about the front end breaking apart like with a lowering kit.
Ok just pro-tend that I know nothing. What does flipping the rear linkage mean?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I post links to ebay stuff? I don't wanna break the rules.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
$95 after shipping, that's too high IMO for shocks that are probably 10 years old. But that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLASTER...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a7003bbbe#ht_1129wt_1163

These look pretty good. See what you think.

1 more hour tell I meet the guy at our yamaha shop. So excited! =) Also what would you recommend for a back shock? I wanna get all new shocks all the way around. And that way I won't have to switch the linkage. And I really wanna do this as professional as possible. Because I will be racing for our shop. And I'm gonna "Pimp My Ride!".

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Then I'd suggest saving up about $2-3k for proper suspension. You wanted options for a 200 dollar budget, that doesn't match up with the words "professional" or "pimp".

You didn't say anything about racing in your original post, care to share what kind of racing you plan on doing? It will have quite an impact on your suspension choice.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
did the original poster even read the ebay listing? in size 32 font it says "NOT FOR RAPTOR 660"

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
then i'd suggest saving up about $2-3k for proper suspension. You wanted options for a 200 dollar budget, that doesn't match up with the words "professional" or "pimp".

You didn't say anything about racing in your original post, care to share what kind of racing you plan on doing? It will have quite an impact on your suspension choice.
did the original poster even read the ebay listing? In size 32 font it says "not for raptor 660"
agreed!

·
Registered
428 Posts
+1, If your going to do it then do it right

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then I'd suggest saving up about $2-3k for proper suspension. You wanted options for a 200 dollar budget, that doesn't match up with the words "professional" or "pimp".

Oh my gosh! That's allot of $$. :wow:... I'll stick to what you said earlier... And it will be some flat track and some jumping. Not completely sure... So I guess I better figure out :eek:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did the original poster even read the ebay listing? in size 32 font it says "NOT FOR RAPTOR 660"
Yes I did but "Mike" said to look for banshee shocks and it said for banshees. So I assumed that if it would indeed work for banshee's then it would work for a 660. And just maybe it wasn't men't for a 660 raptor just like banshee shocks aren't men't for a 660r.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am having trouble finding good front shocks for a banshee/350 raptor/warrior and can't find any good condition shocks. But I think these may work. Also if anyone knows of any good places to get these kind of parts and hoods for a 03 660r raptor the help would be appreciated. Also I now realize that what I said earlier was very ambitious and realistically speaking I will be doing some around town racing and some trail riding. But I am very new to ATVS and finding these parts have taken forever! So any help would be awesome! And ideas too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-WARR...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6242458e#ht_500wt_1180

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Even with free shipping, those are only roughly $5 cheaper than the other shocks you listed in an earlier post, so you really aren't getting a great deal. You are going to be much better off getting some YFZ front shocks and flipping your link on your bike. Your handling will be greatly improved, and you are getting the best improvement for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you find me some YFZ shocks for under $200? If you can a link would be super!!!!! I can't find any!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm leaving until Tuesday. Be back then.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts