Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used them on the 660? they look good and just wondering how they ride.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
They are too long for the standard raptor suspension geometry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, i almost bought them!! so is it basically the yfz 450 shocks are the only ones that work?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The front Raptor 700R piggybacks from the 07SE/GYTR models and all of the 2008 and up Raptor 700 fronts will work.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
How do they compare to the yfz's?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Yes, I was. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I think that maybe the 700 shocks have a little stiffer springs. Not sure but I know on my +3 setup the 700 shocks made it sit quite a bit higher than my works pogo's.

Here's a pic of what it looks like now. I would like it a lower but I'm out of preload adjustment on the springs.

Attachments

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
I used LTR 450 shocks on my Houser +.5" a-arms for a year till I could afford elkas. They were great. I had to slightly move my coolant resivoir to fit 700.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I used LTR 450 shocks on my Houser +.5" a-arms for a year till I could afford elkas. They were great. I had to slightly move my coolant resivoir to fit 700.
Weren't those a-arms long travel though? Or did you have those 17.5" long elkas on something else?

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Yes, my 1st pair required 17.5" shocks. I think the LTRs were a 1/4 short but worked fine. The LTR shocks always got a bad rep for being stiff, perfect for the increased weight of the Raptor. I can honestly say my Elkas werent much better untill I moved up to the 18.5" Elite set up, there plush. I just picked up an Elite rear off the forum to match, cant wait to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
It would be useful if you included that they were long travel a-arms when chiming in, as there is a difference in the application.

As I said;
They are too long for the standard raptor suspension geometry.
The LTR is also actually lighter than the Raptor 660 and Raptor 700, not sure what you're comparing them to as far as being too stiff, but on a 50" wide mx quad I'm not surprised the suspension is stiff to absorb the impact of jumps. Glad you found a use for them.

Again however I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching shock lengths and travels. Your suspension will work best and be safest when your shocks are the proper length for the geometry of the a-arms. You have used 3 different length shocks on your Housers, you may want to find out what length of shock they are actually made for, and the next time you have them in for service you can have them shortened if need be.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
It would be useful if you included that they were long travel a-arms when chiming in, as there is a difference in the application.

As I said;

The LTR is also actually lighter than the Raptor 660 and Raptor 700, not sure what you're comparing them to as far as being too stiff, but on a 50" wide mx quad I'm not surprised the suspension is stiff to absorb the impact of jumps. Glad you found a use for them.

Again however I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching shock lengths and travels. Your suspension will work best and be safest when your shocks are the proper length for the geometry of the a-arms. You have used 3 different length shocks on your Housers, you may want to find out what length of shock they are actually made for, and the next time you have them in for service you can have them shortened if need be.
Noone is trying to tell you your wrong MD. Everyone knows your the fastest Googler around. I was speaking to the quality of the shocks. In numerous test and shoutouts, the LTRs were found to be to stiff. The added weight of the Raptor softens them up a bit. Anyway, thats my experience with the shocks in question. I hope Socal can use my input with or with out your blessing.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I simply wanted to clarify for those reading this thread that your experience was not with standard travel geometry. Your post did not specify, so the casual onlooker could have easily thought that you had bolted them on to standard travel housers. I wanted to safeguard against someone buying a set of LTR450 shocks based on your advice then later realizing that they won't fit his stock or standard travel aftermarket a-arms.

The rest of my post was me trying to help you, I wouldn't want to see your ball joints bind up and cause damage or a failure of the front suspension because the shocks installed were too long or have your front end bottom out because the shocks are too short and spring rates aren't capable of coping with the added force of the different geometry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I simply wanted to clarify for those reading this thread that your experience was not with standard travel geometry. Your post did not specify, so the casual onlooker could have easily thought that you had bolted them on to standard travel housers. I wanted to safeguard against someone buying a set of LTR450 shocks based on your advice then later realizing that they won't fit his stock or standard travel aftermarket a-arms.

The rest of my post was me trying to help you, I wouldn't want to see your ball joints bind up and cause damage or a failure of the front suspension because the shocks installed were too long or have your front end bottom out because the shocks are too short and spring rates aren't capable of coping with the added force of the different geometry.
Arent the yamaha 450 shocks shorter also? I thought they were since all the bikes seem to get a bit lower when using the 450 shocks. or so i read..

Did i misread somewhere? just trying to make sure before i go buy something.. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Yamaha YFZ450 shocks are about the same length as the stock 660 and 700 shocks, and will interchange without any geometry related issues. They are actually a bit longer than 660 shocks (1/4-1/2 inch depending on who is measuring), but the difference in spring rate combined with the ability to adjust the preload can make it set lower than stock if you so desire.

The LTR shock is about 2 inches longer than a stock 660 or 700 shock, which is why I wouldn't recommend them for standard travel geometry a-arms (stock or aftermarket) on a 660 or 700.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
If I remember correctly, its been a while since I messed with stock shocks or the LTRs. Stock 700s are 16 1/2" and the LTRs were 17 1/4".

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If I remember correctly, its been a while since I messed with stock shocks or the LTRs. Stock 700s are 16 1/2" and the LTRs were 17 1/4".
Stock rezzy 700's are near as makes no difference 16", stock pogo 660 is 15.5", stock 04-09 YFZ 450 shocks are 15.75-16" depending on who measures.

I guess my "2 inch longer" statement was too long, no pun intended. The LTR shocks are just over an inch too long for stock geometry 700, and just shy of 2 inches for the 660 if your LTRs measured 17.25.

I have seen people bolt up some old Polaris Predator and Honda/Suzuki 250R/400 4 stroke and honda 450R front shocks as well, and at 16.5" length on a 660 there were some pretty extreme angles on those ball joints at full extension. Some have run longer shocks with lowering kits though, not that I was particularly impressed with the ride quality (I didn't push them too hard) or the added stress on the mounts because of the kit's change in shock angle with respect to the ground.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stock rezzy 700's are near as makes no difference 16", stock pogo 660 is 15.5", stock 04-09 YFZ 450 shocks are 15.75-16" depending on who measures.

I guess my "2 inch longer" statement was too long, no pun intended. The LTR shocks are just over an inch too long for stock geometry 700, and just shy of 2 inches for the 660 if your LTRs measured 17.25.

I have seen people bolt up some old Polaris Predator and Honda/Suzuki 250R/400 4 stroke and honda 450R front shocks as well, and at 16.5" length on a 660 there were some pretty extreme angles on those ball joints at full extension. Some have run longer shocks with lowering kits though, not that I was particularly impressed with the ride quality (I didn't push them too hard) or the added stress on the mounts because of the kit's change in shock angle with respect to the ground.
So basically the YFZ 450 are the only shocks that will work.. Well work the right way anyway with stock 660 arms

1 - 20 of 20 Posts