Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i was just in search of some advide on how to go about making my own a-arm guards and skid plate

firstly what thickness alloy should i use was thinking something around 6mm, is something this thick easy to bend at home (i have a vice and blow torch and a assortment of hammers :thumbsup:)

could someone post pics of how the a-arm guards bolt on and do the skid plates bolt to where the factory plastic one does

any tips would be great along with as many close up pics i can get

i am only doing this because i have plenty of time off work between 3 and 6 months because i have just had a operation on my left shoulder and in a few weeks i will gain mobility back in it so in this time i will be pulling parts of my quad to be powercoaded and making stuff at home to keep my self amused and test my talent

cheers

Ben

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i will aslo be doing my own warning lables they will most likley be thin alloy with stickers on them or engraving, might even do airbrushing with clear over the top just depends on if i can be bothered ha ha

Ben

·
Registered
492 Posts
Maybe this will help you :grin_nod:
At the time, I didnt have a holder on the back side. But the picture should help you see what I did. I used a 3/16" Aluminum. If you start on them and they dont turn out like you would like them, let me know and I will make you a pair with any figure you want on the front of them and some words on the back for $50. Most people have been wanting the lettering "RAPTOR" in the back where mine says "RIDE HARD". It looks like my picture file is too large. I will email you the picture.
Good luck,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers mate yeah that helps alot

Ben

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Champ, You sound like you're gonna use steal, but most of what is avalilable on the market is aluminum. With steel or aluminum I'd try .125 or .190. I'm not sure what that is in millimeters but probably about as thick as the stock plastic skid plate. Like I said in the bumper thread my bumper weighs about 20 lbs, compared to the stock one that weighs 1/4 lb, 80x's as much. Add up both a-arms and the skid you'll have a few, maybe 10 lbs of steel. Aluminum is gonna weigh about 1lb.

I've thought about this issue before and it will be difficult to "roll" the edge - that said, I might try attatching it to the framework and pounding it around the "round" parts. If you leave it (the edge) flat, then I think aluminum is a way better choice.

To attatch a-arms to the machine I would try rivets, if one comes out, put a new one in. If you use screws/bolts you'll have to drill and tap your holes. I've heard of lots of guys "scraping" the heads off bolts while riding, then you drill a bigger hole with bigger tap. Sonner or later you run out of
a-arm :grin_nod: If you get stainless steel rivets, they are a little stronger than the alum. ones. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
SandDragon said:
Champ, You sound like you're gonna use steal, but most of what is avalilable on the market is aluminum. With steel or aluminum I'd try .125 or .190. I'm not sure what that is in millimeters but probably about as thick as the stock plastic skid plate. Like I said in the bumper thread my bumper weighs about 20 lbs, compared to the stock one that weighs 1/4 lb, 80x's as much. Add up both a-arms and the skid you'll have a few, maybe 10 lbs of steel. Aluminum is gonna weigh about 1lb.

I've thought about this issue before and it will be difficult to "roll" the edge - that said, I might try attatching it to the framework and pounding it around the "round" parts. If you leave it (the edge) flat, then I think aluminum is a way better choice.

To attatch a-arms to the machine I would try rivets, if one comes out, put a new one in. If you use screws/bolts you'll have to drill and tap your holes. I've heard of lots of guys "scraping" the heads off bolts while riding, then you drill a bigger hole with bigger tap. Sonner or later you run out of
a-arm :grin_nod: If you get stainless steel rivets, they are a little stronger than the alum. ones. :thumbsup:
Drilling holes into hollow A-arms? Rivets?
I'm not trying to start a pissing match or anything but would suggest there's a reason GYT-R A-arm guards clamp on.
... and a reason that most quality aftermarket skidplates and guards have recessions formed into them so that the plate itself is lower than the head of the bolts for the clamps - makes it very difficult to scrape the head off a bolt that way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did plan on using aluminum and recesing the bolts or and using a clamping system some pics of how other brands use clamps would be good, the bending of the material should not be a problem as i have oxy if it needs to be heated i was thinking something like 6mm thick

i think that rivits would be way to weak but i guess you can konw until you try it

Ben

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Don't even bother with rivits or making your own.

I'm the type to build my own stuff whenever possible but I bought A-arm guards for my quad. The amount of money I could have saved by making my own wouldn't of been all that much - maybe $15-$20. I decided to spend the extra to get something made by a professional that was proven to work. I have yet to find a better place to get parts than www.yamahasportsplaza.com. They sell OEM, GYT-R and all the usual aftermarket name brand parts at a huge discount.

For GYT-R A-arm guards:
Fits '06-'07 Raptor 700R
Item: GYT-1S334-20-AL Usually Ships In:
2-8 Business Days
MSRP: $97.95
Our Price: $73.46

For AC Racing A-Arm guards (through www.yamahasportsplaza.com)
A-ARM GUARD YFZ450
Item: 562077 Usually Ships In:
Backordered
MSRP: $99.95
Our Price: $79.96

THE GYT-R STUFF IS ACTUALLY LESS EXPENSIVE - and, of course, designed specifically for your quad so there are no fitment issues.

Putting holes into skinny, hollow parts like A-arms is a bad idea. The last thing you want to do is temp the quad gods with structurally compromised suspension components. Especially with a crucial part like an A-arm.

Do you or will you ever ride through water? It will get in past the rivit and sit inside that A-arm. My understanding is that the A-arms are not made completely of aluminum. If so, drilling holes into the A-arms for rivits could create a way for them to eventually rust from the inside out. Of course you could drill weep holes - but then you have more holes in your A-arm.

Again, I'm not trying to start a pissing match or anything. I'm sure SandDragon was only trying to help. But go with clamps and recessed bolt holes and make sure to use a high grade bolt if you're going to make your own guards.

Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for that mate i will check out there site, yeah i wasnt to sure about this idea thats y its only an idea, they material i would use would most likley be cheaper that what gytr use and there for weaker

Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts