Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Right know I have a 06 450ER. I am debating making the jump back to Yamaha. The new Raptor looks awesome.

Are there any unusual maintenance issues that I should be aware of with the new Raptor 700R. I am just looking for a quad that is a blast to ride and not constantly have to tinker with it.

Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
Welcome to the site.. :thumbsup: I think the 700 is a solid choice, I made the switch from a Banshee and have never looked back !! I was prolly one of the thumpers biggest critic's before I bought mine, I can't tell you how impressed I am with mine now.. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
The 700 hasn't really been out long enough for major maintenance issues to have a chance but I've yet hear or read of anything. A small number of '06s first off the assembly line had a fuel pump and fuel cap issue but that has long since been resolved.

Other than adjusting the valves and chain after break-in mine has needed nothing but the usual oil/oil and air filter changes. I've got 40 hours on it so far.
Really all it needs it the chain lubed, gas in the tank and for me to turn the key and press the start button. It's as close to plug and play as I've yet to see in a quad.

I've found myself spending more time cleaning the dust and mud off after having fun than doing maintenance. Can't say that about too many other quads.

These things are awesome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
I made the jump too :confused:

I ride mine pretty hard and had a few issues but nothing out of the ordinary for a dumbass :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
VelociRaptor said:
I made the jump too :confused:

I ride mine pretty hard and had a few issues but nothing out of the ordinary for a dumbass :thumbsup:
show off !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
The raptor has proven so far to be a great quad, good as any out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
crazy Z said:
Hello everyone. Right know I have a 06 450ER. I am debating making the jump back to Yamaha. The new Raptor looks awesome.

Are there any unusual maintenance issues that I should be aware of with the new Raptor 700R. I am just looking for a quad that is a blast to ride and not constantly have to tinker with it.

Later
nothing unusual except having your arms pulled out of their sockets every now and then :lol:
seriously, if your looking to have a HUGE blast with zero problems...then my friend you have found what you are looking for....and then some :grin_nod: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Headrope said:
A small number of '06s first off the assembly line had a fuel pump and fuel cap issue but that has long since been resolved.
What was the fuel cap issue? I filled mine completly full, then stood it up to do some work, and it leaked out of the gas cap a little bit. Is that the problem. Best part is that it ran out of warranty yesterday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
that dude is so weird, he has a polaris and spends all his time on a raptor forum.. take off eh :thumbsup:
... but yes, the 700 is pretty maintenance free. I ride mine hard and put it away wet, rarely do anything other than fluids and grease. The EFI is trouble free. Its a big torquey, low-compression motor that will probably run forever with little hassle. The racing 450s, (and yes Jeremy) the 525, will require more maintenance than the 700R. The 700 will also be much easier on your body at the end of the day also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Its the firat quad Ive ever owned and I love it...rode my cousins 400 a few times and some other here and there...best decision I think in a sports quad :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Hey Jeremy I see your from Washington, I'd like to hook up some time and see how that poolaris stacks up against my 700R in the sand. A bunch of us are going to the little sand box over in Beverly Wa Sat.the 24th of March for a little playing and sand dragging. There's a small drag hill and a good flat drag area, you should show up. There will even be a Predator or 2 in our group for you to beat up on ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
:bump:


Jeremy, I want you to see this post. I'll have my buddy bring his 3 mod 700R so you guys can match them up and see how they compare in a hill race and on the flat drags. It will be a good time :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
cobramn99 said:
Headrope said:
A small number of '06s first off the assembly line had a fuel pump and fuel cap issue but that has long since been resolved.
What was the fuel cap issue? I filled mine completly full, then stood it up to do some work, and it leaked out of the gas cap a little bit. Is that the problem. Best part is that it ran out of warranty yesterday.
The fuel cap issue, as it was explained to me by a Yamaha mechanic, was that a valve that vents fuel would get stuck causing owners to describe experiencing something like gas boiling inside the tank while the engine was running. Gas was not boiling inside the tank. Basically the gas tank was venting into itself - kind of like farting in its own tub (bubbles). Again, that's as it was explained to me. The whole "boiling gas" thing has been the subject of many debates on this site and others.

Regardless of the boiling gas issue there is no reason for a fuel cap to leak. If it turns out to not be deemed defective - or if Yamaha won't replace it - you might want to buy a new one. They cost about $22 bucks through Yamaha and go up from there in the aftermarket world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
The wire plug/fan issue. On a lot of machines a plug under the seat wasnt connected tight when purchased. Just push them together better. It would come loose from riding. You'd know it happened because the fan wouldnt come on when the engine was warm. Minor problem but the only one I had. There are threads on here about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
I don't drive yet...fucking pathetic, i know but whatever. Anyways, I don't know maybe...

We're going to Riverdale this weekend I believe.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top