Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Suzuki selling a 400cc mid-size quad, and with Honda selling 300cc and 400cc mid-size quads, do you think Yamaha should re-invent their mid-size competitor? Yamaha introduced the one of a king 250, now the 125. I would love to see a better 350 Raptor.

Here are some changes I'd like to see:

#1 - fuel injection
#2 - liquid cooled
#3 - 11.0:1 compression ratio
#4 - drop about 10 to 20lbs
#5 - 5 speed manual transmission
#6 - relocate the reverse

Some things I wouldn't change:

#1 - electric start

Of course I'd like to see a $6,495 price tag too!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
#1 - fuel injection: Might be nice, but then you need to buy a controller.
#2 - liquid cooled: That would be nice.
#3 - 11.0:1 compression ratio: ??
#4 - drop about 10 to 20lbs: Isn't possible being liquid-cooled, reverse & electric start.
#5 - 5 speed manual transmission: ??
#6 - relocate the reverse: I wish mine was gone.

Some things I wouldn't change:

#1 - electric start: I want a kick-start on mine.

Of course I'd like to see a $6,495 price tag too!

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Suzuki is selling the 400 because at one time it was their only offering. They have specialized the LTR to the point that it's not in direct competition with the LTZ400 which is why they continue to sell them.

Honda makes the 400 because as late as 2003 it was their largest sport offering. It stuck around because the 450R was supposed to be a kick start only MX bred race quad, and since suzuki had the 400 and yamaha had the warrior/raptor350 they needed to compete in the same arena so they kept it.

Honda makes the 300 because it's an evolution of the old 250X and it's tooling costs have long ago been paid for. And until the Raptor 250 came out it was the smallest atv you could get with a manual trans and had a good price point to undercut the warrior for those looking for basic transport.

It would cost a lot of money for Yamaha to make an all new 350, mostly because they don't have a 350cc donor engine (there's a big gap between the 230cc trail bike motors, 250cc adventure bike motors, and the 450cc trail bike motors which would over lap with the yfz-x and the 500cc sled motors).

The warrior/raptor 350 has already been dropped in some over seas markets, and I would expect the US market to follow if/when they either can't sell them anymore, a refresh becomes cost prohibitive, or Honda stops making their 300/400.

The only other thing I could think of would be a destroked/debored/both WR engine in a larger Raptor 250 chassis. That might fit your bill, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#3 - OK, I'd settle for 10.0:1, but I'd prefer 10.5:1

·
Registered
836 Posts
how about yamaha just copies suzuki and just makes a fuel injected, liquid cooled 400?
but of course the yamaha one has to be lighter, more reliable, have much nicer styling, and have a more powerful motor.
Almost like a de-tuned yfz 450 with raptor plastics on it..

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
what id like changed for my next quad
400cc
fuel injection to play with
yfz geometry

keep electric start and lower compression also the 6 speed is nice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts