Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody help me. i'm trying to match my stock 05 raptor red frame . i went to colorrite.com and for the base in a spray they say i need to make the color is 34.00 and then the color is 34.00 a can then i need clear too :eek: thats around a 100.00 to do a touch up on a couple spots by my boots :eek: sure you can get the pen stick they have but it will look like crap :( i think i could find a good match at my local auto paint store and they can put it in a can w/ clear for about 20.00 :thumbsup: just wondering if any of you have tried something different and loked the results or have a code # for dupont paint or another brand :thumbsup: colorrite.com is a total rip off :crazy: thanks ;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
rustoleum silver flake and testors candy apple clear from the model paints...exact match for 10 bucks and all spray paint

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm familiar w/ rustoleum . what is testors ? are these both available at auto parts stores :help:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you're saying testors is totally diff/ than rustoleum right :3question:
the rustoleum is a match ? :help: with clear /gloss mixed in :help: thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep...Testor's is a different brand....you start with the base coat of Rustoleum brand silver flake, then put the candy apple clear Testor's brand on top

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you very much :thumbsup: this was my first ride w/ the quad and my boots rubbed the paint right off the frame by the shifter. i was thinking i'm going to touch up then put some clear film on the area like they put on the rockers/ noses of autos. that should do it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
i made new mounts for lights and you couldnt tell the diff. I also polished the clutch and brake lever then painted them with the combo...looks really trick that way.

paint with the silver flake first...let dry, the coat with the candy apple until you get the deepness you want...I think mine only took like 2 coats.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one more question . if its down to bare metal or not even down to bare metal, will i need primer first. or is that where the rustoleum come into play ? :help:

·
Registered
735 Posts
should be ok with the rustoleum, but primer never hurts and at a buck a can couldnt hurt. I keep a can of flat black for my a arms anyway...hit em with a wire brush to knock the ick off and coat them with the paint...missouri is so rocky that it doesnt pay to do fancy powder coats or pretty chrome.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have the same spots on my 05. Let us know how it turns out and maybe take some pics?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts