Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start by saying i have very little expertise with atv repairs. I have a 2016 raptor 700 and so far ive gotten by watching videos and reading this thread on my maintenance. Last weekend i swapped the chain and front and rear sprockets. Upon adjusting it and getting it together i took it to test. There was a mild grinding noise and i noticed something wasnt right where the sprocket meets the carrier as i can see a gap as shown in the photo. What would case this? Perhaps i adjusted the chain too far, bad seal, bearing...etc. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
So let me start by saying i have very little expertise with atv repairs. I have a 2016 raptor 700 and so far ive gotten by watching videos and reading this thread on my maintenance. Last weekend i swapped the chain and front and rear sprockets. Upon adjusting it and getting it together i took it to test. There was a mild grinding noise and i noticed something wasnt right where the sprocket meets the carrier as i can see a gap as shown in the photo. What would case this? Perhaps i adjusted the chain too far, bad seal, bearing...etc. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 133557
hard to tell there, it almost looks like the sprocket hub coming loose. loosen an take your chain back off and spin the axle making sure it spins smoothly, try to move axle forward and back to see if it is loose in the carrier. If all good, check your axle nut on the opposite side and check your sprocket hub to see if it is loose.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,042 Posts
I would say your axle nut is loose. There should be 2 set screws to loosen, then tighten the axle nut, followed by tightening the set screws. Changing sprockets shouldn't have caused this. Now would be a good time to check the axle bearings.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Check axle nut first, when my sprocket hub started to get a small amount of play, I tightened the axle nut more and it took the play out. This is something that needs to be checked on a regular basis as part of your maintenance routine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much for the advice! I wasnt even aware of the axle nut so i will be taking off the chain and then making sure the axel is smooth, nut is tight, and check the bearings. Negative of living in the city is my raptor is 2 hours north at the cabin so i shall keep you updated when i make it up there friday. I greatly appreciate the advice and will let you know what happens!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts