Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Raptor 660 stock rear shock laying around? I'm looking for the measurement between the two bolt holes where it mounts up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a '01 shock and it measures 14 1/2 " from the center of the eyes.
It's for sale also...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the measurement! I am looking to see if another model's aftermarket shock will fit on my Raptor.

Anyone know if a shock can be mounted upside down for fitment purposes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You might want to talk to someone,like the manufactor of the shock if you can, about installing another model shock on you bike. These shocks are valved so they work with the bike they were engineered to. They are not the same inside.
If you DO try,take it easy when riding it at first to see what it does.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I also noticed that you have posted a few times about the Ohlins shock. Are they good shocks for ATV use? I know for streetbikes they are great, I'd assume they would be great on ATV's too but you know what happens when you assume. Plus I didn't even know they made ATV shocks up until recently.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are a very high quality shock,much better made than the original stuff. Better be for the original asking price of like $800 + or so. The shock will last longer as it is better made. The damping controls work very well, make a big difference. I bought mine as i just trail ride and needed a better riding rear shock. It was going to cost me about $250 for a oil change and new spring for the original shock and i found the Ohlins for $320. So it was no contest.
I still need to get a stiffer spring for mine as i am over the preload maximum,but i weigh 205lbs, so it may be OK for a lighter rider. It works GOOD after i set it up. The original shock was terrible on the choppy braking bumps and fine on the jumps. The Ohlins just smoothly floats through everything.
The main thing with suspension is that you need to make it work for you by adjusting the damping and preload.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might just go with having TCS redo my stock shock then..... unless I can find a deal on something new.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is the rear shock different on the 01 compared to 02 and up with the 660? Could you install this shock on a 03 and if not what do you guys recommend I do with a +4 swingarm and stock rear shock currently? How much am I looking at spending? I weigh about 180. Pimarily a dune rider and like to jump. :help:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
01 has remote resevoir, 02 - On have piggyback resevoir

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Limited660 said:
01 has remote resevoir, 02 - On have piggyback resevoir
True, there's also a difference in the linkage. The 01 had a casting and the 02+ were made from flatstock I think.
Triplecrown had an 01 rear he sold to another member, can't recall who it was, but the second guy put it on an 02 or later and made it fit with minor modifications to the link.
Anyone recall this?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Id confirm, but im too lazy to take a flash light and try to see my linkage because of my full swing arm skid...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.