Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i started up my 03 660 today and noticed some smoke from the back end by the swingarm and figured it was melting snow, then i looked closer and saw i was getting slight smoke from where the spark plug is as well. So i shut her down and checked the oil and saw metal flakes mixed in with black material (have maybe 1hr on the new oil change). so i was seeing what is causing my problems

edit-smoke from the back has stopped but at the spark plug it still smokes, took it for a quick 2 minute ride and pulled the boot and it had what looked like condensation on it but smelled like gas

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i started up my 03 660 today and noticed some smoke from the back end by the swingarm and figured it was melting snow, then i looked closer and saw i was getting slight smoke from where the spark plug is as well. So i shut her down and checked the oil and saw metal flakes mixed in with black material (have maybe 1hr on the new oil change). so i was seeing what is causing my problems

edit-smoke from the back has stopped but at the spark plug it still smokes, took it for a quick 2 minute ride and pulled the boot and it had what looked like condensation on it but smelled like gas

Not sure what you are asking of us.............

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i guess what im asking is what would be one of my main reasons for the gas smell/smoke coming from around the spark plug boot?, and the metal flakes, what are the odds those are just from being rough on the clutch? i changed the oil (whats it in there now) when i got it, the stuff before was pitch black.

·
Master of the Electron
15,236 Posts
Smoke or steam from around the plug is oil or water in the plug cavity... most likely unrelated to the flakes in your oil.

What was the bike's condition before you changed the oil?

Give a lot more detail on your bike, symptoms, timelines, etc., or it's going to be hard to decide what, if anything, is wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the bike ran fine before i changed the oil, did it just because i didnt know how long since it had been done last, still starts up runs fine, no odd noises or anything that catches my eye/ear, since i changed the oil i have maybe put 2 hours on it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,236 Posts
How about some detail? How long have you had this bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry yeah, bought it back in november, i myself have barely had time to ride it. also flakes may be a bad word thinking about it now, i guess shavings would fit better. When i rubbed the dipstick on paper towel i could see what i would describe as "silver sand"

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
sorry yeah, bought it back in november, i myself have barely had time to ride it. also flakes may be a bad word thinking about it now, i guess shavings would fit better. When i rubbed the dipstick on paper towel i could see what i would describe as "silver sand"
Try changing the oil and filter after the engine is hot to flush the contaminants from the engine, to see some contaminants in the oil is not unusual..............Excessive amounts are.................

·
Registered
247 Posts
Does your engine make any noticeable knocking or tapping noises. It might be hard to hear if you have an exhaust, get your ear close to the motor/cases... And definitely get a magnetic oil plug to catch those metal shavings!!

·
Master of the Electron
15,236 Posts
So is this the first time you've changed oil since getting it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i changed it about a week after i got it and haven't put many hours on it since then, but ill change it again and check the filter when i do to see what the inside of that looks like

·
Master of the Electron
15,236 Posts
See what the next oil looks like before getting too concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts