Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question for those of you who live in places where riding ATVs on the street is legal: How many miles per gallon you get? Maybe you measure it in hours per tank?

I've got a friend who is into GS bikes that I want to go riding with. I'm trying to figure out how many Jerry cans I'll have to strap on.

Here's a link to a story about GS bikes in case you're wondering what the hell they are: http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/story/6158177p-5388695c.html

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
yeah, i was wondering myself, i was hearing the raptor is a gas hog, but i had went out and rode, was gone lost for like 4 hours,and my light never came on, and i didn't check my gas untill i got back to camp, and i didn't even use 1/2 tank, it was proably closer to 1/4 used in that 4 hours, it wasn't hard core open throttle either, it was trails max speed was pretty slow like 40ish, but still, i was suprised to see how much gas i had left.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called the Yamaha Customer Service number listed on the yamahamotorsusa.com site. And someone answered - at 9 p.m.!!!

The gal I talked to said that Yamaha does not release miles-per-gallon ratings because there are too many variables that can affect the engine's efficiency. These include such things as weather, weight of the rider, throttle settings, terrain, altitude, etc.

Basically they don't want the phone lines to be clogged up with people griping that "Yamaha said ... blah, blah, blah." I can respect that.

I'd still like to get a ballpark figure. It's basic knowledge I think we all could use.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have clocked 50 miles on my gps before the gas light came on in lake arrowhead ca. and i was on it every time i could.this is with the three mods,all stock i was getting about 70 and light never came on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
gotten a little over 7 hours on a tank with my bike before. this was alot of logging road riding, so lots of downshifting and opening it up.

cant think of many other things you can take out for 10 dollars in gas and beat on for 7 hours :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can think of a couple things I can take out for 10 dollars then beat on it for 7 hours! LMFAO!!! Just not 10 dollars in gas. Gotta love a cheap date!

Good to know the length of time we have on the tank!

·
Registered
201 Posts
They make bigger after market tanks now. These big bores do suck some gas. I have yet to ride long enough to run out yet though. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
i just got back from moses lake sand dunes i could ride 2.5 hours until the gas light came on it took two gallons to fill. hard trail riding im getting about 3.5 hours ride time. fairly slow gravel road riding i got about 90 miles before the gas light came on .

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 660R is road legal and I have a TrailTech Vapor dash so get a mileage readout. I get 80-100 miles on a tank of road driving. That is with a 14t front sprocket, so geared slightly higher, but I have a 16t for the front to fit, so that should improve cruising economy a fair bit.

-andy-

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I usually can get a good 4-6 hours on a tank.....but thats a mix of riding (on it/cruising) and rest stops. I'll tell ya this much, it gets better gas mileage then my YFZ 450 did with 180M/50P/yzneedle on the 4th clip! Then of course you have the accel pump squarting all the time too.......but I have the accel pump patch on my 700 too!
Thats how you can tell that FI is being more efficient....and that our 686cc's are not nearly being used to there full extent!

Put a 12.5 comp, PP, 734, stage II cam, full exhaust, intake and PCIII on a 700 and you'll see the gas being used!

Wonder what people with 770's are getting?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would estimate between 10 and 80 mpg, depending on how it is being ridden. Seriously!

Full time drag racing or constant dune climbing at full throttle would easily get it down to 10. Steady state cruising at 30 mph on a flat road in top gear with tires well aired up should get up to 80. So Yamaha's answer was absolutely spot on. So it is all up to you and your right thumb....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
mws said:
I would estimate between 10 and 80 mpg, depending on how it is being ridden. Seriously!

Full time drag racing or constant dune climbing at full throttle would easily get it down to 10. Steady state cruising at 30 mph on a flat road in top gear with tires well aired up should get up to 80. So Yamaha's answer was absolutely spot on. So it is all up to you and your right thumb....
Well that clears it up LOL :lol: I would love to see someone get 10 on a stock bike, I don't think you could get that unless you was racing on an ice sheet with slicks. IMO Heck my Sequio does not even do that bad climing a steep hill with a loaded trailer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think you would be surprised. Your Sequoia is probably getting about 3-4 mpg during the periods you have to use full throttle up a steep grade. Of course, you probably aren't doing that too often and it will be getting 30 mpg on the downside, so it averages out around 10-15.

·
Registered
287 Posts
RAPTOR700R450 said:
i just got back from moses lake sand dunes i could ride 2.5 hours until the gas light came on it took two gallons to fill. hard trail riding im getting about 3.5 hours ride time. fairly slow gravel road riding i got about 90 miles before the gas light came on .
Do you live near Moses Hole...uh, I mean Lake? I can tease 'cuz I'm from E. WA (Wenatchee), but now live in Marysville.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Here's my stats.
Flat running between 35 and 55 MPH. Rarely in 5th and minimal warm up time, 1-2 minutes. Usually 10 minute jaunts.
The yellow gas light just came on ond I have gone 50 miles with a run time of 2 hours 48 minutes.
Now to get some gas and see how much is in reserve.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Like everyone says its how you ride and how your setup. I have had my light come on at just under 35 miles and 1.5 hrs and on a trail ride have hade 81 miles and 7.4 hrs and still no light, so if you wander very far from the truck carry extra or just be mindfull of how long you have been out

·
Registered
4 Posts
ride in the sand, and I would bet 10 miles per gallon is easly doable. especially if you shoot comp hill at Sand Mt Nevada1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts