Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doin some pretty heavy woods riding.. 85 degree day got pretty warm and stopped for about a 10-15 minute break... went to start it and fuel pump sounded different than normal and wouldnt start... took tusk billet fuel cap off and a huge rush of air came out and i could hear what sounded like the fuel was boiling.. let it sit and cool down for a while, still wouldnt start so i shook it around like crazy and blew into the fuel tank and tryed about everything (since the sun was going down) and then after a while another rush of air came out of the fuel tank when i loosened the cap again.. could hear the pump build pressure and off i went..




was doing some reading on here, does this mean i need the updated fuel pump? i havent check the numbers on it yet but i know thats an issue, also are there any other thing that you guys are doing to prevent this? Different fuels? ect..

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
I didnt check my # either i just took it to the stealership and told them what the deal was but i did print off the diagram that explained all of that and gave it to them. Ole dude made a phone call for a little while and told me to leave it. I check back with them on friday and he said they measured mine and it was .5mm and supposed to be .8mm so im gettin a new one. Prob gonna be ready on tuesday. good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rap7hundred said:
I didnt check my # either i just took it to the stealership and told them what the deal was but i did print off the diagram that explained all of that and gave it to them. Ole dude made a phone call for a little while and told me to leave it. I check back with them on friday and he said they measured mine and it was .5mm and supposed to be .8mm so im gettin a new one. Prob gonna be ready on tuesday. good luck
Good to know.. mind i ask how much to do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
i did some hard woods trail riding with a few mud pits. went back to the truck and shut it off waiting for everyone to load theirs on the trailer and it wouldn't start so we sat it on the trailer drove home(45min or more) got it home started it up and off i went.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds exactly like what happened here.. would like to find a fool-proof fix since it gets pretty hot here in the summer sometimes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
to my knowlege its not gonna cost me anything.. i do have an extended warranty on my quad but i am gonna ask them to not put it toward my ext warranty so that i will have a chance on getting that money back if i do not use it. It was a factory mistake so they should eat the cost on that and not put it toward my warranty IMO. But either way im not coming out of pocket on this situation..They acted like they have never heard of the prob before so with a little bit of using my "outside voice" i may be able to accomplish a few more things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
I know the dealerships in my area all said they would charge for the new pump since it wasnt an actuall recall or something like that. I have the bad pump but havent had any problems with it yet. I ride in 110+ heat here and so far so good. Could it be possible that your tusk cap isnt allowing the tank to vent properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also wondered that as well.. it has the deal on top of the cap with a little hose and a little billet breather thing on top of it

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
I had the aeration of the fuel this weekend. I'm not sure if it was boiling or whatever but it sounded like it. I had gone up a fairly large elevation change (about 5000') and the Rhino I was following up the trail sputtered, back-fired a couple times and quit. We stopped to investigate and when I had the seat off I heard the fuel 'boiling'. The Raptor faithfully started back up without issue though once we got the Rhino going though :thumbsup:.

Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I've experienced vapor lock before, pretty embarrassing ::)
It got me looking at running coolant additives:
Water Wetter (sp?)
Koolaide
with those you'll have to change it out before the next freeze though

then there's Evan's Cooling
haven't heard much about it, but what I've heard sounds too good to be true
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it is a little embarrasing... i just told em it was the heat from all the horsepower :grin_nod: I think you are on the right track tho, would be nice if there was something like that to take it one step further from being an issue.. or even if some company made some sort of aluminum heat shield for the gas tank
 
G

·
The 06 pump had a .5 mil breather which was causing the vapor lock. For 07 (I think) Yamaha increased the size to .8 mil. If taking your gas cap off dosen't work you can try taking your spark plug out and putting it right back in. What sucks the most - no recall!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Rapt0rMan said:
The 06 pump had a .5 mil breather which was causing the vapor lock. For 07 (I think) Yamaha increased the size to .8 mil. If taking your gas cap off dosen't work you can try taking your spark plug out and putting it right back in. What sucks the most - no recall!
if thats right what size is the tusk caps breather?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its not the tusk breather that is so much an issue i think.. because the problem with the older pump is the "bleeder hole"


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,470 Posts
my friend, rap7hundred, got a new fuel pump installed FREE from the dealership. i took him there today to haul it back on my trailer... it's pretty much a recall issue just print out what my friend did (i'm sure he'll post it up on here) when we took his up there they acted like they didn't know what was going on... after a few calls - whomever the tech was talking to said to take the quad in and look into it.. and sure enough they saw exactly that was said about the 5mm/8mm deal and fixed it free not even any labor fee.

we're gonna break that new pump in this weekend so we'll def. post up the differences in before/after =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
evlls1 said:
my friend, rap7hundred, got a new fuel pump installed FREE from the dealership. i took him there today to haul it back on my trailer... it's pretty much a recall issue just print out what my friend did (i'm sure he'll post it up on here) when we took his up there they acted like they didn't know what was going on... after a few calls - whomever the tech was talking to said to take the quad in and look into it.. and sure enough they saw exactly that was said about the 5mm/8mm deal and fixed it free not even any labor fee.

we're gonna break that new pump in this weekend so we'll def. post up the differences in before/after =)
yep. got mine fixed for free per say but i do have an extended warranty. cant wait to ride this weekend to see how she does.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top