Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old daughter with uncorrectable vision problems (left eye almost useless, right clear for about 10-15 feet and blurring some from there). She rides a Suzuki Quad Sport 50 currently. She loves riding and has crashed a few times and gets right back on.

The 50 will not go in sand. It just does not have enough grunt or centrifugal clutch or whatever. It just can not even get moving in sand.

I would like to move her to a larger cc atv that has low end power enough to allow her to do easy sand dune areas. My thoughts are large enough cc's to have low end power while I governor down the speed ability. She does not need to go over 15-20 mph, so I don't want to have to have speed be the element that allows a mini-atv to be useable in sand. I want slow speed low end power.

With all the above said, does the Yamaha 90 raptor have good low end power? Can it handle gentle sand dunes slowly and rather easily (power-wise)? Can it take-off easily or have to be throttled fairly strongly to get going then backed-off once moving? I understand the issues of uphill/downhill and soft/hard sand and those aspects that can vary how an atv performs in sand. I'm more interested in how the bike does say in level or gently undulating sand (all types of sand) as that is where we would be riding most of the time until she gets better and better. You know, kind of the follow dad around easy sand areas type of riding. Does the raptor 90 have the low speed power to take-off, turn and basically manuever reasonably easily in sand? Is there a better choice in atv's (manufacturer or cc's)?

I'm a life long Yamaha fan with a 700 Raptor and 450 WR. I'm also a life long dirt bike/atv/motocrosser/roadracer/offroader rider/racer and want my girl to be able to experience what she wants to, and to be able to ride with me and friends at the dunes, and not have her personal limitations keep her from what she wants to do, while dear-ol dad keeps a level of safety for her (and others nearby).

Thanks for reading all the above and giving any input you have. I know it contains a lot of questions, but am just trying to give good info to get good input back from the forum.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Im sure a Raptor 80 would just do quite fine. Aslong as your not looking for huge hill climbs it would get the job done. I myself have a raptor 80 (for my brother) and it gets him around and you can easily manage the governor on it. The Grizzly 80 is the EXACT same thing as the Raptor 80 Yamaha just strapped on some different plastic's i bought a Grizzly 80 and threw on some used Raptor 80 plastics without a problem.

Just my 2 cents, lets see what other people have to say :).

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
First of all sorry to hear about your daughters vision! That's gotta be tough to deal with. Second, I would put her into an odyssey type go cart. The one I have has a 5 hp briggs on it and a 3 point seatbelt. Along with a full rollcage, adjustable seat and trigger style controls. It goes really well in the trails and pretty good in the sand. Also it would be really easy to slap a 125 motor in it later on. JMO but I would want her to be more safe than what she would be on a quad especiallly at this age. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like carpenter's idea! If you can find one, it would be a unique ride for her. If she doesn't like that idea, you could always use the premise that she would probably have one of the only ones out on the dunes! If a quad is still wanted, I think the Rap 90 would be a really good choice. We have one of them and also a Polaris Outlaw 90. For someone younger, and probably smaller, the Rap has much smaller dimensions than the Polaris. Side by side, no comparison in size. The Rap runs well in the sand. You have to keep enough throttle available to keep wheel spin up for flotation. Also have to have enough revs to engage the clutch properly. The other good thing is that it has a rev limiter on the cdi to keep the speed down. It does run a little crappy, cuts out, with the jumper installed. We took it off immediately and you can always limit the throttle throw. The only negative with the Rap 90 is that there is no reverse. If you will be close by, which you probably will be, then there is not issue. It pulls back easily as it doesn't weigh that much. Read about the jet mods to help it idle and run better at the slower speeds. Good info on the forums. If you have specific questions, drop me a PM!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. A Raptor 80 showed up at the local dealer and we worked out a good buy on it. She rode it Saturday afternoon and enjoyed it. Will need to get used to shifting in time.

I looked hard at the Polaris Razr 170 for her just for the reasons you all stated but she needs about another year of growth to be able to adequately see over the steering wheel when the seat is adjusted to reach the pedals.

Anyone know of hand levers that will bring the levers closer to the grips?

Also is there a better thumb throttle that has the thumb lever closer to the bar or maybe a throttle with a shorter throw so the thumb lever can be shorter?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Im glad the 80 looks like it's going to work out for you, I too have a daughter with special need's, she has CP (cerebral palsey) and also has poor vision but loves the dune's and riding in general, she could never ride by herself but loves our Rhino and putting around camp and the property on a quad with me,
but my suggestion to parents with small kid's that are just starting but may be able to handle a little more speed before they out grow the quad is the Raptor 50, I bought an 06 for my 5 year old and it would only top out with rev limiter at 11/12 mph, it seems to have enough power to handle the low dunes (even had to get paddles to keep from spinning out on some small hills) but the drive to and from camp at 8 to 12 mph was "huh" slow. So I did the Dynatec cdi box, pulled out baffle put exhaust tip on and instantly went 20 mph with me on it and has plenty of power for now for him and his up and coming 4 year old brother (when he starts to ride alone) but it was running too lean so I re-jetted the carb and that took care of it. I do wish it had a foot brake though, even the 50 at first my boy had a little problem reaching and pulling the hand brakes, but Im happy with the choice all around and will move up in size at 7 years old. Good luck to your daughter and you and happy ridding!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts