Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother has an 01 raptor 660. in the past couple of months the thing started running horribly. it does some kind of odd misfire every time you give it a little bit of gas. even if you adjust the idol all the way up it starts to do it.. it use to do it only when it was cold in the winter. we have since cleaned all the fuel system out(gas line, fuel tank, and the jets/carb), i checked the timing and its right on the slot in the threads inside the plug. the only other thing i can see it being is the spark plug. im bringing the right spark plug socket home from work tomorrow. any tricks to getting that damn plug out, its realy stuffed in there.

o he killed the battery on it and since then this sputtering/missing has gotten so bad it cant be driven off idol. the raptor was bought second hand and it looks like alot of the engine hads been taken apart at one time or another. it ran great for about 4 months after he bought it and just this past winter it started running really crappy.

i wish i could give more info but i cant, i dont know much about quads, im an auto tech.
any info or sugestions would be a great help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would start with the rev limiter. I had the same problem and found the parking brake was still a tiny bit pulled. I believe parking brake cable tension is hard to keep in adjustment, so the slack could allow the lever to stay out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For the spark plug, just use a deep well socket wrench to loosen it. Once its all the way loose use a magnet to get it out. At least thats what I do. It sounds like its your parking brake sensor. Its probably hung up. Its very common. All you have to do is unplug it from the clutch perch. There is two wires that run into one plug, thats what you want to unplug. Quick way to tell, are you able to start the quad while holding the clutch in while your in gear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bgmac said:
For the spark plug, just use a deep well socket wrench to loosen it. Once its all the way loose use a magnet to get it out. At least thats what I do. It sounds like its your parking brake sensor. Its probably hung up. Its very common. All you have to do is unplug it from the clutch perch. There is two wires that run into one plug, thats what you want to unplug. Quick way to tell, are you able to start the quad while holding the clutch in while your in gear?
its not that i dont know how to wrench it out. it looks liks its the smaller of the two sparkplug sockets but the thing dont fit on there. im going to try the prking brake sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
freaking amazing. i pulled off the prking brake switch and pushed it in while i reved it and it worked. now i put it all back together and adjusted the cable all the way out and its still not hitting it yet. theres no adjustment on the bottom of the cable and theres less than a 1/4 inch of brake pad left so i guess its time to change the rear pads? or libe the cable and get a stronger spring to pull it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.