Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a son racing cross country on a stock raptor 250 and I am going to improve suspension but want stock length a arms. Also need to beef up engine and was thinking 2 brothers pipe. any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would go with Fox Float shocks. Alot of people like Big Gun & HMF exhaust systems, and you should also get a Pro-Flow Intake if you get an exhaust.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with the Fox Floats. Fox can make them to fix with stock A-arms...as far as exhaust, I would go with HMF, FMF or CT

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If I were you, I would recommend going just a little wider, maybe an inch on each side and a +2 axle. The Fox Float Evol's are really awesome shocks being that they don't have the spring so I think thats pretty cool. A Two Bros pipe is very loud (most series have a dB limit), I would recommend an FMF PC4 with a Power bomb header, or of course a DRD. I love mine, it made the motor really pull harder down low. Give us a little more info on your budget and your son's size, skill level, and class requirements and there will be alot of help!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I race xc and I have LSR +3 a arms along with 4+1 wheels with fox floats and have no trouble at all. I find you don't bounce around as much because you can fit in the 450 ruts. I highly suggest fox floats, they have a great ride and a ton of adjustability. As for the exhaust I think the Big Gun would be a good choice, I'm very happy with mine. A vito's top end kit would be something to think about for the price, I can't wait to try out mine we recently installed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have ran a 25 mile track in the deserts of New Mexico a few times. I haven't made any suspension upgrades, or changed my axle or a-arms. I usually run it in 51 minutes, and that was just with intake, exhaust and jet. I haven't tried it yet with the steering stabilizer, piston and cam install, but I bet I could do it a couple minutes faster. One day when I can afford it I plan on getting the lonestar axle and a-arms, maybe the swing arm too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thought I think we are going with fox we liked them on our apex and I am thinking FMF for the pipe. We want to run GNCC next year my son is 12 and 80 pound. We are thinking of building a bike with the dirt bike engine but I dont think they allow water cooled. Is vito the only kit or does stroker do these engines. Does anyone know if water cooled forbidden for youth class in GNCC

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks for the thought I think we are going with fox we liked them on our apex and I am thinking FMF for the pipe. We want to run GNCC next year my son is 12 and 80 pound. We are thinking of building a bike with the dirt bike engine but I dont think they allow water cooled. Is vito the only kit or does stroker do these engines. Does anyone know if water cooled forbidden for youth class in GNCC
There is almost an endless supply of engine mods you can do to these raptors. 300cc bore kits, stroker crank, cam, the list goes on and on...
Water cooled motors are probably not "legal" in the youth classes since the smallest engine in the ATV market today with liquid cooling from the factory, is a Suzuki Z400

·
Registered
345 Posts
We allow watercooled in our series on the West coast .We had everything from 85cc,
125cc to 250FS. We have a schoolboy kind of class as well for the 400cc for the 14-15 yr I think ? I know they made some changes this year, not sure on the ins and outs but we had a class that the Hybrids race that consisted of kids 12-15 yrs. My Daughter ran a "yahonda" in it for two seasons .lol

As far as the GNCC, I would ask others who run the series or shoot them an email.
They should also have a rulebook online ?
A stabilizer will def. help your lap times .
theres is some controversy on changing the Swingarm length .To eacn there own, we prefer stock length . Your suspension ,getting good power and tracion to the ground and a good stabilizer will make him faster- then add the power ;)
thats my advice :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
The GNCC has a production rule in the schoolboy so you have to run a raptor 250 engine in it. You can do engine work but I don't think it can be more than 300cc's with the engine work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts