Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
a couple weeks ago i bought a raptor 660. it has GYT-r air filter, bored to 686, and full rs3 yoshi exhaust. Anyways.. the guy said it was jetted and it ran perfectly fine when tested it there and even for the next week it ran fine. And then it started popping and glowing headers, wouldnt run AT ALL without FULL choke. I tore down both carbs completely as directed put them together and turned the a/f screws 2.5 out (more than previous) it runs like crap and rites of spring is NEXT WEEKEND. yes, i do have a dynojet kit if you think its required. Anyway, thanks guys..

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one more thing... when i put them back together my main carb butterfly flap didnt seem to be part way open like i remember. i will post a pic

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys,
a couple weeks ago i bought a raptor 660. it has GYT-r air filter, bored to 686, and full rs3 yoshi exhaust. Anyways.. the guy said it was jetted and it ran perfectly fine when tested it there and even for the next week it ran fine. And then it started popping and glowing headers, wouldnt run AT ALL without FULL choke. I tore down both carbs completely as directed put them together and turned the a/f screws 2.5 out (more than previous) it runs like crap and rites of spring is NEXT WEEKEND. yes, i do have a dynojet kit if you think its required. Anyway, thanks guys..
So between the time you got it and it started acting up, what did you change on it or do to it...........
It sounds like a lean jettign condition................

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I agree... what changed? Either something was done, physically, or, perhaps a piece of debris got sucked into a jet.

Did you have a backfire just before the poor running? It is possible that one of the carbs got blown off of it's intake boot or the boot became damaged?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i bought it, it was wintertime.. ever since its been warmer (50s-60s) its been backfiring louder than my 12 gauge. I changed NOTHING.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
when i bought it, it was wintertime.. ever since its been warmer (50s-60s) its been backfiring louder than my 12 gauge. I changed NOTHING.
SO it sounds now like it has sat for a period of time, which would indicate that the jets have varnished, this condition can happen very rapidly under the right conditions, I have seen it happen in less then 3 weeks for a bike carb to varnish sitting in my shop, so I suggest the carbs be removed, and thoroughly cleaned internally..............

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes the guy did say it sat for ahwhile. But i did take the bowls, jets, valves and all of that when i cleaned em.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
worst comes to worst ill bring my cr250 up instead, that thing is bulletproof.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
worst comes to worst ill bring my cr250 up instead, that thing is bulletproof.
So is the Raptor bulletproof, but any bike will suffer when it comes to dirty jets, and 2 strokes suffer more.............

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and your tottaly right. im just mad at my raptor right now. and do you happen to know what the main carb is supposed to look like (the butterfly flap)?? and i appreciate your help

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Both butterfly's should be in the same position with no throttle applied.

There is no 'main' carburetor - both supply nearly the same amount of fuel and air at all times. The right does supply a bit more, just because of the arrangement of the valves.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i appreciate it. and good and bad news... good news is i tried to start it and it fired right up. bad news is it only ran for about 20 secs, refired ran for about 10, than wouldnt restart. I just put a silencer and repacked my yoshi exhaust tonight, and buying a uni air filter for it. I heard those are frickin awesome. and picking up cool shit, a new LED tailight! and a 6 pack rack

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
by way quadmaniac, i like those can-am spyders. arent those like 14 grand?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Yes, used... new somewhat more, depending on model.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gave up today and brought it to labarons powersports thanks to all that helped

1 - 16 of 16 Posts