Raptor Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alright. I have an 01 or an 02 raptor 660.

I removed the green wire from the pin under the shifter and grounded it to the negative battery terminal. I removed the entire parking brake harness and still have the issue. Even tried cutting the parking brake wires before the connection (between the pb and the terminal into the main harness) and keeping them separated and twisting them together.

Quad is still spitting and sputtering under a throttle load. I can ease into the throttle and it runs semi ok, but anything half throttle or above it kicks in.

Anymore ideas as to where my issue may be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ground the green and white wire that comes out of the CDI box
Still nothing. I was assuming you meant cut the wire and ground it, not remove it from the CDI. Is that correct?

Also, I tried it with grounding what used to be under the shifter and without doing it, Neither way had an affect.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Scratch that. Will run without green and yellow wire. Apparently it still needs gas :wink

Any other ideas?!
Yes it will run without the green and yellow wire and this wire must be insulated from ground, if the copper core gets wet with water, the water will give enough contact to ground that the Park Brake rev limiter will turn on, that's why I said, make sure it is insulated................................even a crack in the insulation of this wire getting wet with water and the water makes the continuity to ground will cause a problem..................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes it will run without the green and yellow wire and this wire must be insulated from ground, if the copper core gets wet with water, the water will give enough contact to ground that the Park Brake rev limiter will turn on, that's why I said, make sure it is insulated................................even a crack in the insulation of this wire getting wet with water and the water makes the continuity to ground will cause a problem..................
So right now I have the green and white wire from the CDI grounded to the negative battery terminal. I have the Green and yellow wire just cut and insulated so it will not ground out and or get water/corrosion ect. Then I have the green wire from the post under the shifter grounded to the negative battery terminal. Also have the entire PB sensor harness out.

Is this correct, if so, what could still be causing this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 yamaha raptor 660 timing chain replaced

there is a nice raptor for sale, it needs a timing chain. the guy only wanted 1000 but I got him down to 800 but I have a feeling that its something else besides the timing chain. how much would it be to replace the timing change and what else should I check for?

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Jlindley - thank you and welcome to the forum!

Don't be a stranger - even though your quad may be running well now, it's always a good idea to read and learn about what COULD happen and be ahead of the game!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Room to add more - so they'll all be in contiguous order when i'm done, no other posts in between.

PLEASE CHIME IN WITH ANY IDEAS, COMMENTS, ETC., IN A REPLY.
QuadManiac, Just wanted to say thanks for the great info. I have a 2004 Rhino 660 that would only spark once when releasing the key switch from start position. Went round and round with this thing trying to figure out what was causing this situation with no luck. Finally came across your post and tried your solution. Wham! Fixed my problem. I ended up cutting only the red wire from the stator so now I have cranking spark and the battery is charging. Everything is good without replacing the stator. Don't know how or if it affected the RPM's or reverse speed as it's not mine and don't know how it was running before this problem. Thanks again! JRM

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Glad you had the presence of mind to try it on a Rhino! Congrats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concerning problem 2

Concerning problem 2

Hey, Man i cant say thanks enough i bought a 01 raptor 660 and i could just not figure it out so i replaced the flywheel and gasket, re-did some wirring. and my raptor didnt only do this in reverse, it did it in reverse and in 2,3,4,5 so it sucked but i took the green and white wire grounded it to the frame have had no problems yet...and hope to keep it that way.....so thanks agian.

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
I’m having problems like stated in 5 but I can’t find what you said was the problem
5) I HEAR A CLUNKING NOISE FROM MY TRANSMISSION IN ONE OR MORE GEARS?

Several possibilities:

Bad tranny
Bad output sprocket
shift mechanism out of adjustment or bent
others

Please start a public thread and we'll help you through it.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts