Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a new 700 today but need to now how to brake in the motor? ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is a *hugely* controversial subject that ranges from babying it to thrashing the bejeezus out of it.

Owner's manual give you some guidelines.

I just put the first three hours on mine yesterday. Went to a MC ranch with trails, and open areas. The trails allowed for plenty of mild acceleration in up to third gear, plus lots of engine decompression. The open areas let me get it in at least 4th, with some use of 5th. No hard accel/decel, just "exercising" the bike/engine.

Also took about 6 breaks, to allow the hot/cooldown cycles to occur.

I am going to change the factory oil/filter now that there's 3 hours on it, and use dino again. Probably another change at 10 hours, then another at 20. Break-in should be complete by then. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
767 Posts
For every person you'll talk to you'll get a different answer. I've always broke my junk in by varying throttle and load, and no long idle or WOT periods. I also agree that an oil change at 2-3 hours wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou guys that helps :thumbsup: i will not have time to ride until next week

·
Registered
779 Posts
The thing that I am always cautious of is changing the oil right away after a couple of hours. When manufacturers put oil in a brand new motor (not sure about Yamaha) they also put special additives in there to help with conditioning the cylinder walls, seals, bearings and so on. They expect the motor to run with this oil in it for a set period of time. If you want to shit yourself, BMW doesn't want the first oil change on a 323i done before 25,000 km's!!! Just imagine that. So if you get rid of that oil before it's had it's chance to do it's thing, you might not get the benefits. The other thing to keep in mind, along the lines of what the article that many like to refer to says, the critical make or brake engine break in is really done in the first few minutes. Don't think for a minute that when these engines or any other engines are built that they aren't put through a few tests on the dyno to make sure they are going to hold up.

So, my practice on everything I've owned, in addition to above, is not to blast the living crap out of it but drive it with occassional gusto, let it have periodic cool downs and not baby it like a trailer queen.

those are just my opinions! I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer JIM!

MK

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ride it like you stole it! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Tiggyboot said:
The thing that I am always cautious of is changing the oil right away after a couple of hours. When manufacturers put oil in a brand new motor (not sure about Yamaha) they also put special additives in there to help with conditioning the cylinder walls, seals, bearings and so on. They expect the motor to run with this oil in it for a set period of time. If you want to shit yourself, BMW doesn't want the first oil change on a 323i done before 25,000 km's!!! Just imagine that. So if you get rid of that oil before it's had it's chance to do it's thing, you might not get the benefits. The other thing to keep in mind, along the lines of what the article that many like to refer to says, the critical make or brake engine break in is really done in the first few minutes. Don't think for a minute that when these engines or any other engines are built that they aren't put through a few tests on the dyno to make sure they are going to hold up.

So, my practice on everything I've owned, in addition to above, is not to blast the living crap out of it but drive it with occassional gusto, let it have periodic cool downs and not baby it like a trailer queen.

those are just my opinions! I'm an electrical engineer, not a mechanical engineer JIM!

MK
yeah, i was wondering about that, when the dealer put mine togeather they took it out for a joy ride, just like i'm sure everydealer does...so by the time i went to break it in it had already been ran, and who knows how hard they ran it, i went with maddogs link , and it runs perfect so far, 4 months into, always have let it warm up good and have never fouled a plug...i was wondering, ok if the choke comes on for 2 min when you first start it, does it come on then after it's already been warmed up? or once the engine reaches a certin temp it no longer activates the choke???

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
When I purchased my machine and the dealership service department first started it, they revved it sharply several times and filled the shop with this white / gray stinky metallic smoke :eek:. I asked the salesman if this was normal and was told that it was to burn off all the assembly grease. It hasn’t smoked like this any more (to my knowledge), I just was leery of them revving a brand new engine like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On all of mine ive taken it easy the first hour, then balls to the wall. Never had a problem

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I just rebuilt my snowmobile engine a couple weeks ago and its first 10 minutes were spent (after driving 20 to 30 mph for two minutes) were hard 0 to 50 mph accelleration runs about a dozen times and then a few 100 mph accelleration runs.
I have broke in all my engines this way for some thirty years and have never had any problems. The first 15 minutes of an engine's life is what breaks it in, the rings are the major part that must wear into the sleeve or bore and that happens from the first time it turns over and fires up...........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.