Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build my motor shortly, my components will basically consist of a 11:1 or 12:1 CP Piston and an X-4 Cam. That is basically the generally best setup I understand. I do not want to make 65RWHP just have a strong, reliable,and fun bike that will be useful in all situations. I am going to keep the stock carbs and am not really looking for any porting/polishing. Can you guys or gals help me with some advice, giving me all the information about a setup close to the one I want to take... What power gains will I be expecting with this setup and one of my main questions would be, do you have to make valve train modifications to use the X-4 camshaft? Any information would be of great help.

Thankyou

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
If you want an all-around bike you might want to consider a stage 2 cam for that motor. The x4 in a non stroker motor is not a good all purpose cam. In a stroker motor, it is a good all-purpose cam because the added stroke fills in the midrange power that the x4 gives up to obtain the great top end power it has.

Here are a couple of dyno runs of a 11:1 673 with 39FCRs, dual exhaust and CSR porting. Note how much the x4 gives up in the midrange compared to the stage 2. I do recommend the x4 for a stroker motor as a good all purpose cam but for a motor like you're going to put together, the stage 2 is a better cam.

3K rpms is just where the dyno operator started sampling because these were power runs, all the tuning was already done.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Yamaha72 said:
I am looking to build my motor shortly, my components will basically consist of a 11:1 or 12:1 CP Piston and an X-4 Cam. That is basically the generally best setup I understand. I do not want to make 65RWHP just have a strong, reliable,and fun bike that will be useful in all situations. I am going to keep the stock carbs and am not really looking for any porting/polishing. Can you guys or gals help me with some advice, giving me all the information about a setup close to the one I want to take... What power gains will I be expecting with this setup and one of my main questions would be, do you have to make valve train modifications to use the X-4 camshaft? Any information would be of great help.

Thankyou
The X-4 isn't a good choice for an unported head and stock carbs. As CSR suggested, definately go with the Hotcams stage 2. Realize that you'll be on pump gas with the 11:1, and race fuel or a race/pump mix with the 12:1 on a stock head.

You'll probably be in the mid 50's hp wise with a high comp piston, stage 2 cam, good pipe and no airbox lid.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then It will look like i'll be going 11:1, now the question will be 673 or 686. I am definently keeping my stock carbs, and I am currently running an open airbox lid with a Yoshimura TRS Titanium exhaust which should be adequate for what I want. With the stage-2 hotcam I need head mods, correct. What about the Web cam, are they any good?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yamaha72 said:
So then It will look like i'll be going 11:1, now the question will be 673 or 686. I am definently keeping my stock carbs, and I am currently running an open airbox lid with a Yoshimura TRS Titanium exhaust which should be adequate for what I want. With the stage-2 hotcam I need head mods, correct. What about the Web cam, are they any good?
With the stage two you'll need the appropriate valve springs.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
go stock or 673..there is hardly a hp increase and you'll get the option to bore out again in the future if its needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts