Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i have searched and searched.. I hate posting on forumns but here is my prob... I bought a project 01 660... Said it wasnt getting spark and it had a bad starter relay... I get it home and fix the relay... I put a brand new batter in it and go to crank it over and it acts like it dont want to turn over... So I try to turn it over by hand... Its hard to turn over by hand... I take the valve cover off and plug out.. Still hard to turn over by hand... Any ideas? Crank bearing?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The valve cover doesn't hold any compression but with the plug out it should be easier for the starter to do the job. However with the valve cover off you're leaving the camshaft unsupported and the tension on the cam gear can throw the cam onto an angle and bind up make turning it over even harder.

If it won't turn over with the valve lash set and the plug in and the starter won't turn the engine over quickly with the plug out then I'd move on to removing the head where you can isolate the issue to either the valve train or the piston and crank assembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The valve cover doesn't hold any compression but with the plug out it should be easier for the starter to do the job. However with the valve cover off you're leaving the camshaft unsupported and the tension on the cam gear can throw the cam onto an angle and bind up make turning it over even harder.

If it won't turn over with the valve lash set and the plug in and the starter won't turn the engine over quickly with the plug out then I'd move on to removing the head where you can isolate the issue to either the valve train or the piston and crank assembly.
Thats what i was thinking... I took the valve cover basically to check the timing and the decompression pin.... But i checked the valve lash over and over and ive taken the plug out to... I dont think its the starter cause when it stops turning the motor over I try to do it by hand and its very hard to turn. I know its a big single cylinder motor but it takes a little more than usual... Guess ill be taking the head off today....

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Good idea to check the compression pin. One last thing I'd check before pulling the head is the cam timing. It's not uncommon to throw the cam in on the wrong stroke, I know I've done it myself a few times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea to check the compression pin. One last thing I'd check before pulling the head is the cam timing. It's not uncommon to throw the cam in on the wrong stroke, I know I've done it myself a few times.
Rod Bearing... Damn near seized! :mad:

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Better pull the cam chain tensioner out too, and wait to replace it until the valve cover is down tight again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better pull the cam chain tensioner out too, and wait to replace it until the valve cover is down tight again.
Its all apart now... Waiting for a crank now... Someone has replaced a lot on this motor... 02 and up gears.. new starter clutch and gear... piston and cam... But nothing on the crank...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You can just change the rod, there is nothing wrong wiith the stock crank, but rods arent the best.............

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can just change the rod, there is nothing wrong wiith the stock crank, but rods arent the best.............
I know I can but just bought the whole thing... I though about just the rod though... Didnt know how bad the crank would be once i got the rod off though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts