Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 01 raptor.. mods are.. k&N with one of those HUGE airboxs off ebay.. the on that takes over where the battery goes and everything.. also a FMF exhuast and jetting..
anyhoo i just bought the stage 2 cams. i normally ride trails and i actually ride there so some good straights.
wondering if there is anything i need to do to it since i wanna install the cams ASAP..
also does hte CDI box help at all..
thanks

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It would be a very good idea to get a high compression piston (at least 10.75:1 to 11:1) for a stage 2.

The cdi box should help you boost horsepower with the stage 2 cam (and PISTON) by changing your timing curve a little..and having a better spark...some let you raise the rev limiter...

go past 8k rpm's a lot, which you proabaly will with a stage 2 set up, get a better rod too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kinda scared to do a high comp piston...
simply because i like goin to the pump and putting 91 in...
i dont have money to put in 104 or something that i hear you have too with a high comp piston..

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The raptor is a sohc, not dual.
The stage 2 requires stiffer aftermarket valve springs.
The stage 2 will significantly lack in low end power without a bump in compression.
11:1 pistons can be run with 91-94 R+M/2 octane premium pump gas.
Higher rpms are worthless because you're not making power anywhere near the stock rev limiter, let alone 10k+ rpm.
CDI is only useful if it advances timing and even then it's not much bang for the buck. There is also quite a bit of question as to whether the cheap boxes work or even if they harm the engine.
The rod will be fine if you keep the oem limiter and run pump gas compression.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you refer to a cheap box as a lower end CDI? I was under the impression the most CDI's do advance the timing. I was told by a shop that the manufacture for most CDI modules was the same. The only difference is that each company puts their name on it and bumps up the price. An example of one of those companies is BIG GUN. To what extent that is true, I'm not sure. However, as for the CDI I installed on my quad, I felt a better response on the top end with it vs. the stock CDI. It was pricey @ $135, but I did feel it helped with higher rpms. ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Maddog is correct. The cdi will not have much gain if any unless you get the programable type. Even then it requires special software and cables to do it. I have it all. I did make up some custom curves but every engine is different and dont respond the same. Actually retarding the timing on the upper rpm range gains the most.

·
Registered
65 Posts
-get the stiffer valve springs for your stage 2 cam
-earn the $100-$200 of the cdi, make some more money, bore it and get a 11:1 wiseco piston
-whats up with your tranny, has second gear blown? as i know every 2001 model tranny has a weak second gear (just as mine :mad:, but i´ve already installed a 2003 tranny :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tranny is good so far :)

worried cause i like to ride to the pump and fill up with 91.. so doing a 11.1 comp piston will not allow me to do that...

·
Registered
65 Posts
till i know, 91 octane is ok for a 11:1 piston, i live in mexico, here we have 93 oct, what is the next octane number gas available near you??

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
LODO said:
Do you refer to a cheap box as a lower end CDI? I was under the impression the most CDI's do advance the timing. I was told by a shop that the manufacture for most CDI modules was the same. The only difference is that each company puts their name on it and bumps up the price. An example of one of those companies is BIG GUN. To what extent that is true, I'm not sure. However, as for the CDI I installed on my quad, I felt a better response on the top end with it vs. the stock CDI. It was pricey @ $135, but I did feel it helped with higher rpms. ;)
Big Gun's CDI's are rebadged Procoms and they charge around 200-250 for them. In fact a lot of the cheap boxes out there are Procoms. Pricey is not 135 bucks, that's very cheap. Vortex and Dyna make good CDI's, but they are truly pricey at 350 dollars without software and up. As for how well it helps, take it and the oem box with you to the dyno and you'll see how our subconcious will always try to justify our purchases... ;)

04mach1 said:
tranny is good so far :)

worried cause i like to ride to the pump and fill up with 91.. so doing a 11.1 comp piston will not allow me to do that...
Yes, 11:1 WILL allow you to use 91 octane. Maybe even less depending on your elevation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the advise. You can buy the "cheapies" for under $200 at several shops here in So. Ca. I don't know why they retail higher in your part of the country.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
LODO said:
Thanks for the advise. You can buy the "cheapies" for under $200 at several shops here in So. Ca. I don't know why they retail higher in your part of the country.
They don't, we can get them for those prices too, that's why I called them cheap. Big Gun's MSRP is over 200 for their units regardless of where you are. Now if you can get vortex and dyna for under 200, that's something I'd like more information on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Señor Maddog.... I'm not trying to contradict you brother. My highest respect for you and your RAPTOR wisdom. I really enjoy reading your postings. You're the man when it comes to advise. I'm just telling you what they cost out here. A BIG GUN CDI for a Raptor 660 costs under $150. That's why I called them "cheapies", because you said the BETTER brands cost more. Some shops wanted $180 for the BIG GUN brand. I found the better deal at CYCLE PARTS WEST in Orange County, CA. Keep in mind these are not sale prices. They actually have very good competitive prices in many other products as well. Anyways, I'm just sharing the info in case anyone else is interested. If you're paying over $200 for the same product, you might want to shop around. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Sorry Lodo I wasn't trying to attack you and I didn't mean it to come accrossed that way.

It's come to my attention that sometime this year Big Gun dropped the MSRP on their 660 CDI's, the old MSRP if I remember correctly was 229.95, they are now 139.95 on the website. I imagine the release of the 700 and the widespread availibility of cheaper alternatives had something to do with it. Sorry for spreading the old info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts