Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently did an oil change on my 05 raptor and something seemingly strange happened and if i remember right it has happened before after doing an oil change. I follow the clymers manual and am positive it is being done correctly. Drain the oil from the tank, drain from the crank case, swap oil filters, fill with 1.75 qts, run briefly while gently raising and lowering rpm to flow oil out of tank, top off with remaining oil (2 qts. total), let engine get to temp and check oil levels. After doing all of this once the engine gets to temp i maybe rev it a bit and it shuts off and somewhat roughly i would say. Kind of a clank and abruptly. However I can fire it right back up and it runs fine. Any thoughts why this happens? Seems strange. Thanks in advance for your input, you guys always steer me in the right direction!!

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
A clunk at shutdown is rather common. Engine stops with piston moving up on compression stroke, compression pushes piston back down, causing crank to turn backwards - the one-way clutch grabs making the CLANK, which then turns the starter backwards making a WHIZZZ.

My Raptor, my 400ex's and my other motorsports that use starter one-ways all do this occasionally.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
A clunk at shutdown is rather common. Engine stops with piston moving up on compression stroke, compression pushes piston back down, causing crank to turn backwards - the one-way clutch grabs making the CLANK, which then turns the starter backwards making a WHIZZZ.

My Raptor, my 400ex's and my other motorsports that use starter one-ways all do this occasionally.
I'd say the same thing, common problem, and I wouldnt worry about it until you hear a screach sound on startup, this will indicate you have a problem with the oneway.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.