Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an 01 raptor 660 with an 02 cdi in it. I just replaced the stator and starter solenoid. The battery was dead so I tried to jump start it and when i let off the start button the motor kept trying to slowly turn over, it continued to do this even after i turned off the key and handlebar kill switch.

I'm sure that I have a short somewhere around the solenoid, but am not sure where to start troubleshooting or what I should even be seeing if I have a voltage meter hooked up.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
did you have it running properly with the 02 CDI & your 01 wire harness before?
Or did you re wire & now have the issue?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had that CDI for about a year now with the adjusted wiring with no problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible that I hooked up the battery/ starter cables backwards on the solenoid? I've never messed with these and am not sure how they would act if that happened. But don't want to go swapping wires and fry something inadvertently.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped and haven't been able to find anything about this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
how long were you trying to crank it prior to this happening? it sounds like the armature in the solenoid welded the loop closed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not long. 2nd or third time after installing the new parts. Had the gas shut off, I was just trying to cycle the oil out of the tank into the case

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
DISconnect, at the solenoid, the wire that leads to the starter... does starter stop? If so solenoid is bad - internal contacts are welded shut.

If you were to connect up the two large cables on the solenoid backwards, nothing would work on the bike, and returning them to the correct orientation would return normal operation - no damage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Thanks. I'll give it a go tomorrow. That's really gonna piss me off if my BRAND NEW solenoid is bad. We're moving to the OR coast in a week and was hoping that it would be done by then.

Is that something that can be fixed, or is replacing the solenoid the only way to go?

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
If the prob IS the solenoid, then replacing is the only option... I would expect if it is new, it should have at least a 30 day warranty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just on the off chance that ISN'T the problem (I've got a gut feeling it is) what would be the next steps?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
<deleted>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts