Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been jumping at a track recently for the second time last nt and ive had a few hard lands w my inexperience,( but getting alot better ) I noticed after that a wheel or maybe both looks like I have a toe out prob. Now im curious what will give first, on a hard land w stock set up. Another thing is I have offset frt wheels for widening which woudnt I be suprised if that was somthing to do with it. The wheels are douglas .190s frt and rr. or would it more likely be smthn in the suspension or a knuckle..etc. :unsure:thx.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Ive raced a few races with the stock shocks and havent had a problem but I also have not landed too harshly too often. I also have the stock wheels/tires on the front too so the offsets will increase leverage on parts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This track is indoor and really small,you usually land on top of another jump if you dont clear it, so times you kind of (case it) I guess you call it. Im thinking I should have left on stock size wheels maybe since it seems like there is more pressure at the hubs.? I weigh like 215+ too so....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would almost bet that one or both of the stock tie rods or tie rod ends are bent or bowed causing your toed out front wheels. The offset front wheels are going to add to leverage ratio of the front a arms making the stock shocks feel crapier and the are also more prone to bending tie rods. Inspect the tie rods, take off the bent one and straighten it in a vise, then reset your toe in. I got tired of bending my tie rods so I Took two 9"x3/8 grade 8 bolts, cut the heads off, and then beat them down inside of my tie rods because believe it or not the stock ones are hollow. This added alot of strength to them and I never bent another after doing so. You would really be better off to run the stock offset wheels with the stock shocks. From my experience widening the front doesn't add nearly the stability that widening the rear does. Get the correct offset wheels back on the front and put a plus 4 axle in and you should be able to compete in any begginer class. I wiegh 225lbs. and if I havent torn up a front hub I dont know if it is possible. Also, the front knuckles and hubs are yfz spec and most pro yfz races leave them intact so they are tuff.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
We need to hook up and go racing Chris. PM me when and were the next race is so I can see whats up! Sorry for the highjack, I too agree that once everything is said and done- overall you will like the stock offsets with stock shocks than the offset wheels ;). Also, throttle and brake control in the air will help alot to land properly....especially on a jump that wasnt hit right.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool thx for replies, I breifly looked at the tie rods and didnt see anything jump out at me but...maybe they are. I am confused on the stock offsets, what exactly is that? dont want to sound ignorant, but i bought the frt wheels w the measrurements the same as turning a stock one around i guess. I could understand the leverage on the frt end for sure, but when I mean widening it basically w just the wheels I put on that are offset and thats all I did. Thinkin then i should shitcan these wheels and just not use even with the stronger tie rods?! thx j

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Hey Chrisk14, I love the idea of the 3/8" bolts!!! I haven't had my bent rod off yet but will that mess up the threads dribing a bolt in? I mean the tie rod end threads. I've got 1 tube with a pretty good wow in it. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts