Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy i have my 04 rappy its popping and it will only start with starting fluid, when it starts it will pop pop from the exhuast and will shutt off. Never done this before any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
Pilot jets are plugged - did it sit for a while?

Pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it did sit for a while. I thought may b the valves were tight. How do u know if your valves are starting to get tight?

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Hard to start.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Clean the carbs, especially the pilot jets and fuel screws.........

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the bike wont start a unless i spray some starting fluid. It will run by giving it gas but it just pops pops, and shut off.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yea the bike wont start a unless i spray some starting fluid. It will run by giving it gas but it just pops pops, and shut off.
Then clean the carbs and pay attention to the pilot jets, make sure they are #25s.................

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
Yes it did sit for a while. I thought may b the valves were tight. How do u know if your valves are starting to get tight?
Tight valves will cause difficulty cold starting but run fine once warmed up... (usually) starting fluid will not start cold with tight valves either - it requires pull starting to turn the engine over faster than the starter can.

Popping at idle is almost always dirty pilot jets.

Your bike sat, the carbs are dirty and the valves don't tighten up while it's sitting. Clean the carbs, check the valve lash anyway, just to prevent future proglems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tight valves will cause difficulty cold starting but run fine once warmed up... (usually) starting fluid will not start cold with tight valves either - it requires pull starting to turn the engine over faster than the starter can.

Popping at idle is almost always dirty pilot jets.

Your bike sat, the carbs are dirty and the valves don't tighten up while it's sitting. Clean the carbs, check the valve lash anyway, just to prevent future proglems.

Thanks Sir it seems like your right one of my pilot jets is cloged. I tried cleaning it off but ill just wait and buy some new ones..

School little on carbs, the shifter side carb has 3 jets, 160,35 and main jet is 25.. The brake side it has a 165 and main jet of 25.
mods are yoshi full exhuast and lid remove.
Bike runs really strong. Thanks guys

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
Just steal some strands of copper from a piece of speaker wire, force them through along with some spray carb cleaner... do it a few times and blow them out with air. When you're done, you'll know - you can see a nice round shaft of light coming through.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just steal some strands of copper from a piece of speaker wire, force them through along with some spray carb cleaner... do it a few times and blow them out with air. When you're done, you'll know - you can see a nice round shaft of light coming through.

Yea thats what i did except for the wire thing. I know its a main jet because i spray both and one seems to let the carcleaner flow trough good.. Thanks ill try the speaker wire right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all ur help it was my jets were plugged. Now she is up and ridding like new.

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
Always love simple solutions - now have fun. It's amazing how easily the pilot jets plug up and how difficult they are to fully clean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts