Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll never see this bike again. It was burnt in a fire that totally destroyed my shop last night. My son and I lost everything we built in our business since 1992 when the original shop was built.
All my raptor parts, spare parts, test heads and models were destroyed.
Several customer's heads that were work in progress were destroyed. All technical data was destroyed.
I lost my 3 raptor bikes.
BUT this Raptor will never be forgotten. It was the best Raptor I ever built.

·
Registered
819 Posts
aww man that sucks :/ But don't give up maybe it will rise like a phoenix form its ashes. I hope you get back in business asap. What caused the fire?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah sorry for your loss buddy. Hope you had some form of insurance to protect you against all that loss.
I'm dying to see pics of this raptor your speaking of

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
That sucks big time least you'll always have the memories and the knowledge from the time in your shop it sucks starting over best of luck Willy hope everything works out for you

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
I can't imagine how you, your son, and family feel. I hope no one was hurt. This is awful to see 25 years up in flames. It will take time to get thru this and hope you come out stronger.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's just terrible. Bikes and parts are replaceable, in time. Family is not.
I know that's easy for me to say, jut glad you and yours are O.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
WOW! I couldn't imagine having to go through that with our business. I'm glad to hear no one was hurt, and hope things only get better from here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry to hear, hope all works out for you and your family

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh shit Gerry,that's terrible.I'm glad you and you're son,and the rest of the family is ok. It was a great to be able to meet you and you're son,check out you're awesome shop,and check out all the toys you guys have done over the years....as well as getting my head done by one of the most knowledgeable guys with these bikes..!!.

No one can ever take you're memories man...hold on to that time you spent with you're boy,and relish in all that you've taught him,and the time you got to spend together at the shop...priceless

Greg

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Wow willy, I'm so sorry to hear that. Like the rest have said, at least your family and yourself are ok. But again I'm sorry to hear this. I hope the passion hasn't died as well. Keep plugging away my friend. We sure would hate to see you leave, especially since you have given so many years on here and only contributed great things to the sport. Again my condolences.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. Especially cruel to have it happen to someone who has always been so willing to help others and share his time and expertise. Our sympathies are with you and your son. I hope you're able to salvage something from the shop.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So sorry man, I have qwite a few spare parts from the inside of an 08 700 motor if you need anything to help you get going again pm me and you can have it!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have some parts from a 2004 raptor. Mostly a arms shocks tie rods stuff like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
Hey Killer, so, everyone thinks your name is Willy. Maybe it will put a smile on your face if you tell the story about Willy.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will someday tell my story some day.
But I'll say this.
My mind is very occupied right now with cleaning up this mess. Cleanup has started on the site. The wood framed structure was a 91X51 building with 16 foot walls. All white steel inside and also steel outside. The shop was always very clean inside as fire was my biggest concern. But not from the building but from equipment we worked on.
The fire started at about 8.45pm April 11th. My son noticed there was something wrong with the phones in his house. After checking his house for possible problems he walked over to the shop to see if the shop phone may have been left off the hook. That's when he found out that something was seriously wrong. Both 16X14 shop doors were wide open and smoke was exiting from the east door. He ran into the shop and tried to extinguish the fire that was high in the south wall but couldn't because of heavy smoke. He is also a volunteer fire fighter and knows his boundaries. He then ran over to my place and told me that the shop was on fire. The shop is situated on a 35 acre lot with my son and my house on either side of the shop.
When I ran over to the shop my first thoughts were that it wasn't to serious but within seconds I realized it was very serious when I started hearing tin starting to snap from heat.
My son was able to get my YXZ out of the shop and I had to move my truck out of the way and then I retrieved our forklift and then entered the shop once more to get my two sleds. They were in their summer storage rack which I had installed wheels on a week before. My son and I forced the two sleds out between the door and a backhoe under repairs. The upper sled on the rack had a cover that was on fire. We pulled that off. There's a bit of damage to the seat and windshield. I thought of trying to get the backhoe out but by then it was too hot to enter. My son and I did get some burns from saving the sleds. After that, all I could do was watch helplessly.
Within 45 minutes of us first seeing the fire the roof was totally collapsed. The Ontario Fire Marshall investigated the fire. He was concerned of the fact that both overhead doors were open.
In the end he determined the fire started in the office most likely from our surveillance equipment. Pictures I took at the time of the fire confirmed something burned a hole right through the exterior tin wall exactly where this equipment was situated.
So equipment that I had installed years ago to help protect the premises caused its demise.
That sucks.

·
Super Moderator
8,017 Posts
Wow, what a heart sinking story...

Glad you and your family are ok other than the unfortunate loss of machinery and such. I really hope you guys had insurance on the building.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Killer, so, everyone thinks your name is Willy. Maybe it will put a smile on your face if you tell the story about Willy.
Willykiller name was derived from a snowmobile trip I went on with friends many years ago. One friends name was willy. A very competitive friend. I designed a set of weights for my clutch just for that trip. They were called willykiller weights. And they did quieten Willy for the weekend.
They were designed to engage at 5900 rpm but right after engagement I could idle down to 2800 rpm and drive slowly by backing off the throttle. Or I could just wale on the throttle and leave everyone.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That makes me rethink every screen/nick name I've ever used.
Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts