Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

went riding with a buddy the other day and the weridest thing started to happen, he would be WOT in second gear and all of a sudden it would pop up to third on its own and then back to second again.

i really have no idea what could be happening

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Clutch cable is F-ed up. Needs tightening...Just an idea...

Some holy water could maybe help bring an old priest and a young one too.

Then if all else fails show the rappy your boobs it might scare the devil right out of it LMAO.

Hope you can fix it! Let us know...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi!

went riding with a buddy the other day and the weridest thing started to happen, he would be WOT in second gear and all of a sudden it would pop up to third on its own and then back to second again.

i really have no idea what could be happening
What year is the Raptor?

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Neither clutch cable nor the 01 tranny issue would explain 2nd to 3rd to 2nd on its own... Gear dogs wouldn't either... for this to happen, the shift fork has to slide from one gear set to the other, then back again. Can't think of a reason why it would (or could) do it, itself.

Did it do this only once, or did it become repeatable? If only once, I'd suggest that he hadn't fully down-shifted into second and the shift fork was not fully locked in place... even that seems somewhat unlikely.

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
This could be caused from a weak detent ball spring in the shift drum. Or a weak spring on the shift shaft prawl, that would be the spring that makes the shifter return to center when you shift.

·
Registered
555 Posts
This could be caused from a weak detent ball spring in the shift drum. Or a weak spring on the shift shaft prawl, that would be the spring that makes the shifter return to center when you shift.
I had a weak shift shaft spring shortly after I bought my 08. Yamaha replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
584 Posts
im no expert, but the spring idea would be my suggestion. thats what was/is wrong with my fourtrax (1989). it will be in say 5th, and it will go 5, 4, 5. or heck its done it even from 3, 2, 3, even 4, 5, 4. my local quad shop says that it could be the springs. i agree because on mine, as soon as you click up on the shifter its fully engaged, there is no "nuetral" when holding "up" or "down" on the shifter like most others.

Good Luck,
Hunter

·
Registered
555 Posts
what where your symptoms?

its a 2008

its been happening for a while now.
It's been about 2 1/2 years now since that but I remember the shifter felt funny and lacked a positive, firm feel to it. If I recall it jumped out of gear a few times too.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
So he has to open up up the crankcase to fix it? What a pain if it is.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Sorry dude that link dosent work so heres the image of it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
from the above diagram I believe the spring, item #11 is what brings the shift lever back to neutral and provides the feel. That's what was replaced on mine. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
does he wear boots? could it be possible that he is pulling up on the shifter with his boots without realizing it? I'd try adjusting the shifter up before splitting the cases:beer:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just an FYI, any of the above springs don't require splitting the cases. All can be had with the removal of the clutch cover and basket.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Oh cool! Thats great news then...So this is a simple fix that will only require time and patience?

Wait a gosh darn minute here!!! So you guys telling me that there wont be a good old time fun demon exorcism? Way to bring me down guy's...LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts