Raptor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a new thread because my problem is a bit different than "Streetlimitz89" problem, and didn't want to post my issue on his thread. :)

I just fired up my 660 today, and noticed that both carbs are leaking from the drain at the bottom of the carbs.
I relize that this drain is used for manually draining the bowl, as well as an overflow.
What is weird to me, is that they never leaked last season, but now both are leaking about a drop a second ( in my eyes, that's a lot of fuel)
I can't see the float level moving by themselves, and I also can't see both needle and seat failing at the same time !!
Do you think the seal at the tip needs to swell a bit now that I've turned the fuel on ??
If I have to replace the needles and seats, I have no problem with that, but I hope they can be purchased separately.
Thanks, Dan

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
The float valves will plug with varnish (solids left behind by evaporating gas) over time. Initially, this gunk will just keep the valves from fully closing - exactly what you are seeing. If some soft varnish existed here last season, then it's dried into hard crud while the bike was left sitting with fuel off.

If this varnish is in the float valves, it's also everywhere else that is whetted by gas, ESPECIALLY the pilot jets.

It's time to remove and thoroughly clean the carbs. Most likely, this problem (and others that will be showing themselves soon) will be gone upon re-assembly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts