Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I've just joined and searched around a bit and this seems to be a pretty darn kewl place! Hopefully you guys (and gals maybe) can help me out with something.....

First off I have a 2004 Red / Black 660 that is hardly ever ridden. I bought the thing brand new off the dealer and rode it off and on some throughout the years but nothing extreme. It's bone stock still to this day and I even still have the original tires on it which seem fine really. It is garage kept under cover at all times. Long story short over the winter I forgot and left gas in it without starting it once for almost a year. My boyfriend said the gas was bad and the carbs had probably got gummed up because it would not so much as even think about starting (although I cranked and cranked and cranked til the battery died). He worked on it off and on for a couple days cleaning the carbs, ripping my poor baby apart all over the garage (or what looked like it anyway). Good news is he stuck it back together this morning and it started right up. It stunk for a min which he said was the old gas burning but ran which was a relief. I got on it and rode it around for a bit and all seems back to normal minus one thing.......Lets say I'm riding along in third or even second (no gear matters) and I let off the gas and let it start slowing down in gear (not in neutral) to where the engine is still winding it makes a low muffled pop sound several times. It's not a backfire and not loud, it's just like low muffled boom, boom, boom. Sorry I don't no how to describe it. Let me ask my BF........He said imagine like a car with a larger cam (whatever that means). He said car talk it's like it "hunts". You guys have totally lost me now. So any ideas? He said maybe it's running too rich or too lean. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you guys have any. That's the only way I know to explain it.

Have a good day guys. Glad I joined!

Kristi

Oh and he also said to make sure that I mention he's no mechanic. He said although he tried to be as careful as possible there is the chance he may have moved a setting or something by accident.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
1st, welcome to the forum.

2nd, popping on decel is usually due to being too lean on the pilot circuit (idle fuel circuit). If it's running good but the only thing is the pops on decel, simply open up the fuel screws (CCW) another 1/4 to 1/2 turn each... should get rid of the pops.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Welcome, you'll find some great info on this forum! What kind of riding do you do? Post up some pics of your ride when you get a chance!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've just joined and searched around a bit and this seems to be a pretty darn kewl place! Hopefully you guys (and gals maybe) can help me out with something.....

First off I have a 2004 Red / Black 660 that is hardly ever ridden. I bought the thing brand new off the dealer and rode it off and on some throughout the years but nothing extreme. It's bone stock still to this day and I even still have the original tires on it which seem fine really. It is garage kept under cover at all times. Long story short over the winter I forgot and left gas in it without starting it once for almost a year. My boyfriend said the gas was bad and the carbs had probably got gummed up because it would not so much as even think about starting (although I cranked and cranked and cranked til the battery died). He worked on it off and on for a couple days cleaning the carbs, ripping my poor baby apart all over the garage (or what looked like it anyway). Good news is he stuck it back together this morning and it started right up. It stunk for a min which he said was the old gas burning but ran which was a relief. I got on it and rode it around for a bit and all seems back to normal minus one thing.......Lets say I'm riding along in third or even second (no gear matters) and I let off the gas and let it start slowing down in gear (not in neutral) to where the engine is still winding it makes a low muffled pop sound several times. It's not a backfire and not loud, it's just like low muffled boom, boom, boom. Sorry I don't no how to describe it. Let me ask my BF........He said imagine like a car with a larger cam (whatever that means). He said car talk it's like it "hunts". You guys have totally lost me now. So any ideas? He said maybe it's running too rich or too lean. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you guys have any. That's the only way I know to explain it.

Have a good day guys. Glad I joined!

Kristi

Oh and he also said to make sure that I mention he's no mechanic. He said although he tried to be as careful as possible there is the chance he may have moved a setting or something by accident.
Welcome at the forum, :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts