Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I just joined a few minutes ago cause my friend has 04 Raptor that is acting weird. I have an 04 YFZ450 and am on yfzcentral but was looking for a site for the Raptor. But anyway his raptor is acting a little strange. First of all it wasnt charging and would wear out a battery in one ride. So he replaced the stator and said it charges fine but ever since then it wont start without the battery charger on it. He has put 2 new batteries in it so its not the battery. But he said maybe one in 20 times it might start up. But if he hooks the charger up to it he said it fires right up. He also said it is getting fire everytime with or without the charger. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. We are planning a trip to glamis in feb so defintately need it fixed by then. So if anyone has any ideas that would be awesome. Thanx Ben

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
might be your voltage regulator-aka rectifier
I'd check the wiring as well and make sure your getting good connections everywhere.
a weak ground on the frame is also a thought

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Next step should be checking fuses and wiring for grounds or bad connections. Then check the voltages for the system in question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you guys are sure its still an electrical problem. If the decompression valve was stuck open would that cause it not to build enough compression on start up to not start, but with the charger on it it spins fast enough to build a little and fire?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Thats not something we ruled out, the fact that the problems came from the electrical in the first place, made it the practical place to start problem solving. Check the cable from the relay to the starter, the cable may be damaged or loose. Starter motor may be going out? Does the battery still maintain a charge after riding for a period of time? Heres a full list (most )of things to trouble shooting, from the factory repair manual .

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
good thing to look at there rt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has pulled the starter out and checked the brushes and everything looks good there. He also told me that all the wires and connections are good and tight. But he was wondering about timing. Do them things have ignition timing at all that can change or is that just one predtermined setting, cause he said sometimes when hes turning it over it will like want to stop and push back, just as if the timing was way far advanced...is that possible. Im real familiar with automobile electronic ignitions and everything but have never really been into one of these yet

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
DrivenWS6 said:
So he replaced the stator and said it charges fine but ever since then it wont start without the battery charger on it.
Since it needs a little extra to kick it over I'd start with cleaning the battery cables, all four connection points just to be sure.
Tried jumping past the relay (solenoid)?
When it does turn over does it sound like it should or does it have a grinding noise? Ask yor friend if he know what the oneway bearing is. If he doesn't yet he will oneday, common raptor problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing is, is that it spins over fine even without the charger on it. Its almost like it doesnt have enough for ignition while cranking but he said it gets fire everytime and spins just as fast as it ever used to.

He took it to the yamaha dealer and they told him to check the intake valves. They told him that something could be messed up with the intake valve and not letting enough air/fuel charge in to fire so when he puts the charger on it and spins it over quicker it gets enough to fire. Could this be possible. If he had a valve that far out of lash or even bent for that matter wouldnt it have symptoms while running to. Every vehicle I have ever seen with a burnt or bent valve had a pretty distinguishable miss or roughness to it.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Intake valves need to be adjusted every 10 hours or so, they will tighten up on the raptor and make electric starting nearly impossible. One way to narrow your symptoms is to bump or pull start the bike and see how it runs, if at all. If it runs fine after starting it's time to check your valve lash, if not it may be on the plug end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah he said if you pull start it, it will start. But he has checked the valve lash like 2 times and said its good. Would a bent valve do it? He said hes gonna take it to the yamaha dealer and all they are gonna do it throw parts at it untill they get it and rack up a huge bill but i guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts