Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i posted this in the wrong place sorry, i am new to this site so please move it if it is.

well i am new to this site so i thought i would kind of introduce myself and the project i am working on. ok well here it is. I designed the head to be three differrent intake runners because I dont like how the center intake valve gets fed, so I totally hogged it out then had tim barker weld in the runners for me and mike from coalshed racing did the epoxy work and most of the porting, I finished the porting and I polished it. the intake is a bit differrent now (it started good but the guy I originally had weld it screwed it up real bad so tim showed me a little bit of tig welding and I finished fixin it, not pretty on the outside but it is on the inside, I cleaned it up on the bridgeport, and the head is a bit cleaner than it looks, the ports dont look smooth but they are very smooth. since i took these pictures i had put the engine all together minus the automatic decompression. then i found the starter wouldnt crank it fast enough without decompression so i took the head back off and installed an manual decompression valve in it. i finally got it running the other day but the jetting is off pretty bad so i need to take it to the dyno. oh and my engine is a 719 with wiseco 11:1, stage 2 hotcam, barkers 4 mill crank.

intake

exhaust ports

bottom of the head

intake ports

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: my introction and project

sounds like you got yourself a nice ride and welcome to the site :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Re: my introction and project

Welcome to the site and good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks very cool. I am really interested to see what kind of results you get. Do you have dyno numbers from before the port re-design? Running 3 carbs?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pewterpecker said:
Awesome, another member who enjoys modding their raptor while enjoying a frosty brew! 8) :grin_nod:
ya i got busted for that on another site, at least there is no ght

russ said:
Looks very cool. I am really interested to see what kind of results you get. Do you have dyno numbers from before the port re-design? Running 3 carbs?
no dyno from before, this is a fresh rebuild as my last build lasted 4 hours :'( i made the top end a little to stong for the bottom end. this build is the barkers 4 mil rod with a wiseco 11:1 102mm so what any other 720 would normally make would be a good comparison. and i am running on the two stock carbs for now, will be getting 39 soon.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
russ said:
Running 3 carbs?
I'll be testing a 3 carb head within a month, looks promising on the flowbench so far but I'm making a few tweaks to it, then its going back to the flowbench, when I'm satisfied there it will go on the bike and then to the dyno.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow mike way to hijack a thread :mad:

just kidding i cant wait to see how you are gonna fit three carbs in there. get it done before the silver lake trip and bring it up here. oh just so you know i might possibly have tim talked into going there for a while when we all go

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i was a little disappointed in my showing at the dyno, i was hoping for low 60s but i ended up with this. we found that i need larger diaphragm springs and the jetting was way the hell off, i thought because of all of the mods i was going to need huge jets, well i was wrong. it was so rich that my first run it only registered the a/f chart with two tiny blips. i started out with 180 mains and 35 pilots, i am now on 150 mains and 25 pilots, tim explained it to me that the stock carbs are having the jets sucked on harder by the larger engine/cam so it is sucking fuel through the jets at a faster pace and that is why i am now at almost stock jetting.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
thats nothing to be ashamed of Dan....like I said before, I've never seen stock carbs produce greater than 59HP, not saying it can't/hasn't been done, just that I haven't seen it. Has Tim ever seen higher from the stock carbs?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I've seen a couple of bikes break into the low 60's at least on dyno runs posted on the net for what that's worth. Modded stock carbs do pretty well but for the cost it's approaching FCR territory.

Welcome to the site phucker, I believe I've seen you around somewhere else but it eludes me at the moment. Glad to have you aboard and I look forward to your further updates on your build.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i have a new goal in life, i have to get my quad to 62.6 hp on what i have. that is because tim barker said he has seen one get to 62.5 on stock carbs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
WELCOME Dan :thumbsup: Dont be rude on this site. Looks great. Nothing to sneeze at there. Cant wait to see pics of your machine with the carbs and, Hopefully, Soon to be extended swinger.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
phucker-what a name!
reminds of "meet the parents"
"You smoke pot fucher" :lol:
Anyways welcome!
Looking forward on seeing progress with your project! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts