Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Illinois, 1,000ft ASL.

150/155 mains
25 Pilots
Clip in middle positions
2.5 turns out

Only power mods are port matched intake boots, no spark arrestor (stock exhaust), no lid with stock replacement K&N/outerwears (I used sheet metal screws to secure the filter), cleartube tuned, and float mod. I've had the fuel screw from 3 turns out all the way down to 2 turns out and I can't get it to run right.

Up to about half throttle the bike revs fine, but as soon as I get to 3/4-full it stumbles and pops. What do I do?

Oh, and let me make sure I have them right... if you hold up the needles just like they sit in the carbs, the thin washer goes on bottom, then the white spacer above that, then the c clip above the white spacer, then a thicker washer on top, right?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, stock without arrestor. And I was thinking maybe my mains were too small... I guess I need to go tear it back down for the 1,000,000,000'th time. :lol:

And does it matter if it's only about 45 degrees in my shop?

And did you guys check and see if I had the needles properly assembled?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up a 160 jet today. I'm going to change the mains probably tuesday and see what happens. The last time I tried jetting after 5pm or on the weekends I had the neighbors calling me telling me to "quit revving my damn motorcycle".

LOL :grin_nod:

·
Registered
350 Posts
pewterpecker said:
Nope, stock without arrestor. And I was thinking maybe my mains were too small... I guess I need to go tear it back down for the 1,000,000,000'th time. :lol:

And does it matter if it's only about 45 degrees in my shop?

And did you guys check and see if I had the needles properly assembled?
Temp does affect jetting. My bike was tuned in 45degree weather and now that its warmed up I had to have it re-jetted due to a stumble in the mid-top end.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Prior to logging on, I was rejetting my carbs as well so the position of the washers stayed fresh on my mind. What you described was correct. Remember that prior to installing them that the needles compress slightly on the springs w/o binding. ;)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks guys. Well, it's supposed to be in the 60's later next week so I'm going to give it another shot then. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Buying the stock type drop in jets are basically wasting time. Get the GYTR jet kit. Usually around 60 dollars. Use the biggest jets in the kit. You will be perfect. The main reason I am saying to get the kit is because it comes with different needles. The needles are where the difference is. I was playing with mine for about 6 months before I broke down and bought the kit. I realized I was just throwing money out the door. I kad about 10 different jet combos. Some worked and some did not. Cretain throttle positions were great and some just sucked. Kinda like the exact same thing you are going through now. It will be perfect when you get the kit, trust me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts