Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked this up from a friend of a friend, it needs extensive work but with all the aftermarket stuff I couldn't say no for $700...

it wasn't/isn't running properly, the dude had been tow starting it. it has a leak at the center of the cases, front shocks need a rebuild, new bladders and shaft seals, the pwk 39mm carb the choke was broken so I put a 38mm airstriker on but have since replaced the broken choke so have the pwk as a spare. front shock upper bushings were gone, I replaced those.

I need to tear down the motor and do a full rebuild starting with the center case leak and do all new seals/o-rings and check bearings ect, maybe freshen up the top end depending on how it looks. I also had to replace the intake boot on the boyesen rad valve got a new gasket too for when I do my rebuild.

here's the pix I took when I got it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
a few steel wool pads, some dye and paint and this is how it sits now...

for specs, the bike has works resi shocks all around, durablue axle, pos rims that were polished once upon a time, ac nerfs, bumper and grab bar, pwk 39mm carb (AS 38mm on it right now) FMF pipe/siliencer, answer roost boost, pro design cool head w/AV gas dome, MX porting, boyesen rad valve w/carbon fiber reeds, renthal bars just put new renthal grips on, pro design kill switch and an aluminum rear brake stay I just added.

I still have a LLOOOOOONG list of things to do to it for it to be even up to snuff. like I said it 1st post, bushings/o-rings and seals throughout as well as anything else that needs freshening up. may just do +2 arms and tie rods/brake lines. gonna repolish the swinger calipers and master cyls, bike was originally polished everywhere. also going to do a new seat cover and a few other things...

it was rotting away in the guys yard that I got it from. so I'm basically bringing it back from the land of the dead... It does somewhat run. but it does burn water so after the teardown I will know more. gonna do a compression test, the pull the motor, then leakdown test (both are just for baselines) then tear down the motor to rebuild. I want to get it leak free or very close and see what kinda compression it has and see if it still has a good enough condition top end to not need a rebuild. it starts up with the kick start at least LOL but I attribute that to the AV gas dome in the cool head.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lmfao, you do realize shipping will cost more than the plastic out of HI?

not parting it, it's semi running already (runs but smokes alot more than an average 2 smoker LOL) oh and I need to change the clutch discs soon too. I've ridden it a few times it's just not as fun as it will be when it's up to snuff.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Lots of potential there, slap a 310 or 330 kit on it you will love it, got a buddy with a 88 250R with a ct racing 310 kit and ct race port and polish and man that thing ripped, good thing it has silver plastics in stead of that ugly yellow. Keep posting pics:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of potential there, slap a 310 or 330 kit on it you will love it, got a buddy with a 88 250R with a ct racing 310 kit and ct race port and polish and man that thing ripped, good thing it has silver plastics in stead of that ugly yellow. Keep posting pics:D
sure you're not thinking honda 88 with a 310 kit?

this top end is ported already and is a race gas build, so it puts out plenty of power when running properly lol. I just need to freshen it up :D

even the boyesen rad intake is ported and polished

or could just be polished from the factory with the beveled/aeroport type flaring at the opening on the intake side..

It was resleeved to a stock size supposedly too so it can be bored plenty of sizes up. I'll know next week when I pull it apart.

it blew a 155psi with the half fried pos it is now since it has a race gas dome in the cool head :D thus how it can run currently even tho all the crank seals leak and it leaks at the center of the cases and burns water thus the white smoke LMFAO

gonna rebuild it and see where it's at and look at the top end and decide if I want to just try new rings or just redo the top with a new piston and all.. I've heard if the rings are gone the piston probably is trash too but I was also told by a mechanic buddy 2 strokes ur supposed to change the rings every 30hrs or something... so at that extent I could possibly get away with just rings :D I mean, it couldn't get worse lol, plus I'm trying to get a house and just got my front race techs for my 450 serviced at derisi so it's not my only money leak... I need new tires for my truck and 35x20"s aren't the cheapest and new front brakes on the wifes expy LOL so... don't really wanna blow all my money right now fixing up my beater.

but it's getting there slowly :D only been a 5 weeks or so... got it on the 1st of march and I already have it to where I can kick it and ride it, rear shock is charged and working, rear brake is good, gotta bleed the front brakes again but they work too, and it looks alot better, so overall it's come a decent way from when I got it and it the guy hadn't got it to start for years with the kicker lol, got rid of the rusty thing that was originally holding the rear shock resi and mounted it to the grab bar, got rid of the rusty rear brake stay and put an aluminum one on, redid the pegs and nerf nets. cleaned the wheels up a little.

also want to change the front hubs to yfz/raptor hubs, it's a bolt on swap so I can get a more common bolt pattern, then run honda pattern rears so I can do beadlocks or baja type wheels front and back... maybe the +2 arms, I was even thinking of changing the axle to a newer durablue one so I can have fresh chrome on it lol. and if I do I'll go with the older model with the 24 splines so I can run banshee rear hubs and just have a full yamaha bolt pattern wheel setup for it :D who knows, this is all future stuff, getting it running is 1st, and cleaning it up which I can do for free at my leisure.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Definetly worth putting some time and money into man! My brother n law has one with a 410 kit in it LMFAO!!! It rips some serious roosts man hahaha!
Hey haven't talked to ya in a while but a buddy of mine is the superintendant for some shipyard over in oahu and offered me a job over there! MAN I'm really considering it but I'm out at Intel right now building them some shit and it could turn into a forever job LOL But who knows man for the right opportunity anything's possible. Ofcourse I would have to bring my quads LOL! :beer:

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
That is why I want those plastics. LT's have lots of potential!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definetly worth putting some time and money into man! My brother n law has one with a 410 kit in it LMFAO!!!
I haven't heard anything of 310 let alone 410 kits and I'm a member of the quadracer forums? who makes these 310-330 and larger kits?

the most popular BIG motor is the zilla powered hybrid 250s, modded 250 frame zilla motor... couldn't find anyone making 310 or larger kits... trx250s have them I know for a fact...

yeah, oahu is too city/fast pace for me, I'm not into that scene, only to visit and hit boobie bars LOL took the wife, her sis and her buddy and got like a $500 stack of $1s that was a blast :D gotta love when the wife likes nude chicks doing tricks on a 20' pole (939 has the best pole setup/dancers in the state, Oahu is the only place with real stripping anyway so best on the island rather)

but yeah, go for it, there's LOTS of killer places to ride there! even sand drags :D mud boggs plenty of track stuff, but I've never even seen pix, I hear it's SX style tho big jumps over 100' doubles n stuff

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I must be an oddball. I love that blue and yellow LT color combo.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read with the lt250 stroking is better than big bore. but not sure how much it costs and I know the cases need to be trenched... I suppose I'd be best off sending the entire motor to ftz or something in which case. so not gonna happen, just gonna rebuild it how it is now...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the one brother doesn't ride so good so all he did was doughnuts and burn rubber lol.

the other brother can actually ride so he took it trail riding. but other than that it hasn't seen much action in years, I think I've ridden it more in a half hour than it has been ridden in the last 2-3 years at least... it was sitting a LONG time to have the brakes all dry and stuff imo.

my raptor had some worse tires when I got it actually and I never had a serious problem with that bike.

it was much newer and stored out of the rain so it was better overall shape but the motor probably seen more abuse lol

this is how I had it setup right before I sold it... ss112s all around with mudlites, a-arm guards, steering stabilizer and a few other things added from when I got it.

of all my bikes I've had, I do miss that one the most I have to say. just love the setup I had and the reverse, I used that thing like a sport/utility quad, took it over the lava rocks to the beach and all.. super rugged trails lol. I wanna set up a bike like that again one day or get a utility but I like the fun factor of sport quads, more stable for stupid aggressive riding but still able to tackle heavy off road situations and power thru stuff. a little too much side traction tho, I wanna find a mud tire that slides better but has alot of forward bite.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got it back together, gotta thank my buddy sei for the help putting the top end back on I would have done a shotty job on it had I not taken the time to put it on nice lol.

got some spark issue and surging/stumbling issues (I think it's electrical at least without really testing anything) and I have a bad coolant leak where the clutch cover meets the center case around the pump cover area a little higher up than the weep hole. other than that and the front end being super squirly on the street it's someone going and seems to run alot better than before power wise while it's running.

mofo screams and I can't wait til it's not slacking off and everything is dialed in better. will get better pix up soon. tomorrow I gotta try to get the safety check on my cruiser tho so no guarantees on better pix til I get time and sunday i wanna cruise the bobber so gotta see then too...

imo putting a new chain slider on the 91-92 swinger is harder than dropping the motor into the roller lol

oh, after I get it goin good I wanna do some crazy tires on it as well. bear claws or something that will do good in sand and other loose stuff.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
don't know of any off the shelf stroker kit but the bore is at 69mm, just left it alone and put it back together resealing the cases and new bearings/seals basic quick rebuild that I waited about 9 months to complete LOL got it when our last kid was born and she's about 9 months so that's how long I've left the sucker sitting I suppose lol having some bad issues with it bogging down/stumbling in 4th so 1st-3rd is as fast as it can go til I work it out. almost acts as if it's skipping teeth but the chain and sprockets are fine. was way too rich so I leaned it out... I have a coolant leak as I sealed the clutch cover with hondabond as I didn't have the gasket lol. I'm thinkin maybe that's what happens when the clutch slips but it doesn't rev it stumbles if it were the clutch slipping it would rev like in neutral I would think... anyway, took a couple less blurry pix.

my buddy has a zilla and a spare zilla motor so one day it would be nice to have a hybrid lol. but that's a pipe dream for the moment...

·
Registered
349 Posts
very cool

1 - 20 of 35 Posts