Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I found this awesome raptor forum and I'm very excited to share my new project.

its a 2002 Raptor 660r thats pretty close to a running basketcase

I'm going to try to build it into a very nice trail/ amateur drag race bike spending as little money as possible..... I'm a broke college student with another toy... a 1970 Chevy 1/2 ton that has been with me ever since i was 16 which now has a 383 stroker and some other go fast stuff..

how I ended up with the is a long story .....

I sold my 2003 honda recon in august of 2010... looking to buy a LTZ 400.... I had driven one and fallen in love with it.....

by January I had not found a LTZ yet and I found out that a guy down the road was selling a banshee. I had always kinda liked banshees because they were so different. So I went and looked at it and eventually bought it for $1600. I drove it for a while and fixed it up piece by piece until I had a sorta nice bike, and after doing some racing and loosing to a GYTR 700 Raptor by only a couple of feet I tore into the motor and rebuilt it and got the cylinders dune-ported. It never really ran like I wanted it to though, and I still don't know what was wrong with it. After the rebuild I think it had less power. I raced my buddy's YFZ (which was stock with a slip-on) many times and always lost. The banshee was comfortable to ride but it totally sucked on the trails and the clutch and throttle needed super human muscles to work. Imagine my friends riding trails behind a smoking, loud two-stroke banshee burning a mix of Yamaha 2R and avgas. :D

After trying unsuccessfully to sell it I got an offer to trade it for a 2005 Raptor 350. I told myself I could live with the little machine and I traded. When I got the bike it was all stock except for stud wheel spacers and a +2 front sprocket. I immediately swapped the sprocket for a -1. Eventually I replaced the stock muffler with a glasspack, removed the lid and rejetted. I was really surprised how much more power that my $30 worth of exhaust and jetting did for the bike and the glasspack surprisingly didn't sound like crap and wasn't too loud. The raptor was a great trail bike and I taught myself how to ride wheelies on it. But racing was a waste of time and I got bored with the 20hp it had.

So I saw an add on Craigslist for an 02 Raptor 660 and I asked the guy if he was interested in a trade. HE WAS!! It really surprised me. I went to look at the bike. It had no front brakes, barely ran, no rear grab bar, and the exhaust was annoyingly loud. I traded anyway and here I am.

picture time!!

sorry I have lots of pictures of the banshee

the night I got it

racing a 700 Rappy

building the motor

having fun

when I bought it and when I traded it off

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
so far I did a PB sensor delete which got it running alright.

But I think it is still running lean... it has no top end at all.... the jetting is 145/150 with 22.5 pilots..... its getting a 152.5/157.5 for now because I have them left over from the raptor 350... but it probably needs more than that on the mains and at least a 25 pilot....

the drive chain was BAD... I replaced it with a cut down one left over from my banshee because it was a little better :D

I have no idea what kind of slip on exhaust it has..... but it is WAY loud.... I rode it in my buddy's neighborhood about 8:00 at night and people got MAD.... I have plans for the exhaust that some people might not like :D

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You did some good work on that Shee, cleaned her up real good. I'm sure you'll be able to do some good stuff to the 660 as well. Not to be a dick or anything though, but you might not want to get too crazy with the exhaust. Take into consideration the fact that if we, as riders, piss off enough people by being too loud and obnoxious, we may find ourselves with no place to ride. Just food for thought. Not trying to piss in your Cheerios though dude.

Also, if you are going to replace the chain, you should probably replace both your sprockets as well. You want to get even wear on all three. Just would hate to see you throw a chain so soon after you got it. Best of luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice find buddy. I just bought a 01 raptor myself that needs some work. Guy told me it was a 04 but I have since found out its a 01.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If ur on a super tight budget get on as many raptor forums as u can find and look for nice used parts. I also recommend craigslist. I scored huge last year on craigslist. I found a wrecked raptor with monster duals, stg 2 cam, wiseco 101mm 11:1 piston, g force +2 axel and some other small goodies that I traded a snowmobile I paid 200 for. Now I have a parts raptor and a more power for 200 and out was all local. Just keep your eyes open man and good luck with your build.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thats some serious dealing..
Good luck with the 660...& welcome to RF.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You did some good work on that Shee, cleaned her up real good. I'm sure you'll be able to do some good stuff to the 660 as well. Not to be a dick or anything though, but you might not want to get too crazy with the exhaust. Take into consideration the fact that if we, as riders, piss off enough people by being too loud and obnoxious, we may find ourselves with no place to ride. Just food for thought. Not trying to piss in your Cheerios though dude.

Also, if you are going to replace the chain, you should probably replace both your sprockets as well. You want to get even wear on all three. Just would hate to see you throw a chain so soon after you got it. Best of luck!

sorry lol I meant pissing off the raptor purists.... The bike is obnoxiously loud and I just bought a $30 muffler that should quiet it down quite a bit.... I have no idea what it's going to sound like exactly...

I'm going to replace the sprockets and the chain soon, but not before I get to the front brakes. I didn't want to throw a chain so I threw on a slightly better one.

I was uncertain if it would flow enough. So i did some figuring. Using a Carb CFM calculator I figured up the 660's carb CFM requirements assuming a 100% VE (which is probably high but I didn't want to under rate it) and 9000rpm. It came out to around 130 CFM. I then considered that heads usually have less exhaust flow than intake so I might not even need to flow 130 CFM. I also considered that my 383 Chevrolet V8 has a theoretical need of 660 CFM and two such mufflers flow plenty good for it. So i think the flow is fine. I don't want to spoil the surprise. So that is all I will say for now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... after pulling the carbs off I noticed that one of the rubber intake manifolds had a crack in it.... I tried to repair the crack, but I ended up messing the manifold up... so now I just ordered a set of new intake manifolds

hopefully the bike will run better afterwards

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The New Intake manifolds came in. I got the ones from UPP instead of the OEM ones, and I'm a little disappointed because I had to modify them to get them to fit good. But they are on now and I don't have an air leak from the manifolds.

I'm still confused though. I have 22.5 pilot jets and 152.5/157.5 mains. When I pulled the carburetors apart they had 145/150 mains and the bike was running OK. Now with the 152.5/157.5 I have to run it with the needles on the last clip (needles pulled out ---- all the way rich) and it still has very little midrange.... If I put the old jets back in it runs worse.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
What elevation are you at and what are you mods to the air box. I have a fill port and polished head, 11.1 compression piston, open air box with high flow filter, and full exhaust and im running with needles two clips from bottom, 25 pilots, and 165/160 mains at 3500 elevation. Might wanna check valve lash. If its never been done it could cause loss of power. Check your spark plug and should give you a good idea of if your still lean or if your rich. Good luck=)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I would also clean the hell out of the carbs. They look pretty dirty in the picture and it dont take much to clog them up.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
The New Intake manifolds came in. I got the ones from UPP instead of the OEM ones, and I'm a little disappointed because I had to modify them to get them to fit good. But they are on now and I don't have an air leak from the manifolds.

I'm still confused though. I have 22.5 pilot jets and 152.5/157.5 mains. When I pulled the carburetors apart they had 145/150 mains and the bike was running OK. Now with the 152.5/157.5 I have to run it with the needles on the last clip (needles pulled out ---- all the way rich) and it still has very little midrange.... If I put the old jets back in it runs worse.
What is the bike doing now when you ride it? Are you running the air box lid or a modified air box? Check your floats and make sure they're at 14mm and working properly and buy a set of 25 pilots.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the bike has an unknown slip-exhaust..... no airbox lid with a stock style foam filter. I'm pretty much at sea level (95ft).

the carbs are clean.... my first thought was that the float level was off but I checked and reset the float level and I checked to make sure I was getting adequate fuel to the carbs.

I was convinced that I had something together wrong in the main jet circuit or needles, and it was pulling air from somewhere. I checked it, and I checked it against the diagram in the service manual and I found nothing wrong.

The jets are generic brand from Jets R us. I think I'm going to order a set of mikuni 25 pilots 155/160 mains and see how it runs...... it definitely had no top before I worked on it, but it sure felt like the midrange (the needles) were not so lean. It ran clean enough for me to be able to throttle it into a wheelie in second gear and now it seems to cut out eariler.... but its slightly better if I have the needles all the way rich

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'd suggest ordering the Vito's kit, it's going to give you everything you need to get your jetting dialed in, and that way you also won't be having wait if by chance you don't get it set up right the first time. And the added bonus is that the kit comes with those wonderful red A/F extended screws, makes life so much easier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the jets are on their way.... hopefully that solves some of my problems...... I was almost checked out at Jets R Us and I had two mikuni main jets and two pilots and it was $33 shipped..... then I changed my mind and ordered the vitos kit for $55 shipped.... the jets alone are worth the money... I don't know much about their needles though....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright! my class got canceled this morning so I had an hour to play with. I pulled the bike apart down to the carburetors. I installed 150/155 mains, per Vitos recommendations, 25 pilots, (stock) airscrews 2 turns out, and the vitos needles on the 3rd clip. I also verified that the floats were at 14mm still (or 0.551 inches on my dial calipers :D ). Then I threw the airbox, fuel tank and seat back on and went for a test drive.......

THE THING RUNS LIKE A BEAST!!!!!!

---------------------------------
A couple of notes:

From now on I'm sticking to Genuine Mikuni jets because the other copycat jets I got from Jets R Us (they sell both Genuine and copies) are slightly different where the needles go in the jets.

The vitos kit recommended 150/155 for a bike with just a slip on. I used this but I'm going to check the plug before I put it back together and see if I might need to go to a 155/160.

I used the stock A/F screws because it was mentioned on this site before somewhere that aluminum is not the ideal material for an aluminum carburetor. It could have problems with gaulding. I decided not to take a chance and stick with the stock screws. I think i can get to them with a stubby screwdriver if needed.

----------------------------------------------------

Next........

I need to check the valve clearance before I put it all the way back together. Its not hard at all on adjustable rocker arms. I feel sorry for the 450 guys with their stupid shims. :D

I just need a battery and some better tires to have a reliable quad. The battery does not hold a charge at all, and the tires are bald and don't really hold air.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Alright! my class got canceled this morning so I had an hour to play with. I pulled the bike apart down to the carburetors. I installed 150/155 mains, per Vitos recommendations, 25 pilots, (stock) airscrews 2 turns out, and the vitos needles on the 3rd clip. I also verified that the floats were at 14mm still (or 0.551 inches on my dial calipers :D ). Then I threw the airbox, fuel tank and seat back on and went for a test drive.......

THE THING RUNS LIKE A BEAST!!!!!!

---------------------------------
A couple of notes:

From now on I'm sticking to Genuine Mikuni jets because the other copycat jets I got from Jets R Us (they sell both Genuine and copies) are slightly different where the needles go in the jets.

The vitos kit recommended 150/155 for a bike with just a slip on. I used this but I'm going to check the plug before I put it back together and see if I might need to go to a 155/160.

I used the stock A/F screws because it was mentioned on this site before somewhere that aluminum is not the ideal material for an aluminum carburetor. It could have problems with gaulding. I decided not to take a chance and stick with the stock screws. I think i can get to them with a stubby screwdriver if needed.

----------------------------------------------------

Next........

I need to check the valve clearance before I put it all the way back together. Its not hard at all on adjustable rocker arms. I feel sorry for the 450 guys with their stupid shims. :D

I just need a battery and some better tires to have a reliable quad. The battery does not hold a charge at all, and the tires are bald and don't really hold air.
Thats good to .... Good luck with it & have funnnnn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK.....

this weekend I:

Got a brand new battery

adjusted the valves

rode it alot!!!

I got a battery saturday, and I adjusted the valves and put it all back together. Then sunday, me and 2 other buddies loaded up and went to a local fourwheeler park. My brother has a snorkled 2003 honda recon and my best friend has a snorkled 1998 Kodiak full-time 4x4 beast with big 27" mud tires on it.... the park just had 4" of rain. They had a blast, and I managed to survive on worn out tires.

I also got a chance for a quick race with a 2011 YFZ450x and a honda 450r (both were just slip on exhaust I think). launching in 1st on worn out tires I managed to catch them off the line but by the end of the track they had a good 4 bike lengths on me........ i think the tires helped me launch off the line easier, but I think they were spinning through my second gear shift or so.

Next:

TIRES...... I'm going with GBC x-rex in 20" or 22"
SPROCKETS AND CHAIN...... the chain is getting bad and I think I'm going to gear the bike down a little for the tight trails... probably one tooth down on the front with 20" tires or two teeth with 22"

1 - 20 of 85 Posts