Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this comparison is made while using ITP Sand Star dual rib front tires.

I have 20-11-10 Sand Stars and I have Skat Trak 21-12-8 8 paddle Extremes (regular buff) both on ITP Pro-9 (.190) wheels and I prefer the Extremes over the Sand Stars.

This is why:

:thumbsup: Extremes are 2 pounds lighter per wheel and tire combo, 15 lbs compared to 13 lbs.
:thumbsup: They ride smoother due to a softer carcass and they have more sidewall, in-turn, they absorb the chop better.
:thumbsup: They hook up better but not too much.
:thumbsup: They have better flotation.
:thumbsup: They are flat out faster.
:thumbsup: They dune just fine, No they wont do donuts like the Sand Stars but that OK.
:unsure: They want to roll under on you if you push them too hard while trying donuts.
:thumbsup: They are more predictable while side hilling and you don’t feel like you are riding on a balancing beam. Those of you who have Sand Stars know what I mean.
:thumbsup: They turn just fine so long as you use some body English.

I really cant see a reason to keep my Sand Stars except to lend to friends who dont have paddles.

I would recommend the 21-12-8 8 paddle Extremes if you have the 3 mods, if not stick with Haulers or Sand Stars in the 20 inch class. Either way, I would stick with the 8 inch wheel to give you a little more flotation and help absorb the chop making for a more enjoyable ride. There you have it, my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree that Skats have many performance benefits over the ITPs.

But, the ITPs have their own plusses such as they are more economical than Skats, they last a hell of a lot longer due to the molded carcass, and they generally hold air for long periods of time.....anyone that's been around Skats enough will probably admit you can get one that won't hold air very well.

If you're not racing anyone and want a tough-as-nails paddle with decent performance over a broad spectrum then the ITPs are a smart choice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree. :burnout: I also own both on equally modded raptors and the one with the Skats is always the quickest up the hill.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I completely agree :thumbsup:

rich807 said:
I agree that Skats have many performance benefits over the ITPs.

But, the ITPs have their own plusses such as they are more economical than Skats, they last a hell of a lot longer due to the molded carcass, and they generally hold air for long periods of time.....anyone that's been around Skats enough will probably admit you can get one that won't hold air very well.

If you're not racing anyone and want a tough-as-nails paddle with decent performance over a broad spectrum then the ITPs are a smart choice.
The Extremes hold up "Extreme"ly well and if they are not holding air then send them back :crazy:

·
Registered
287 Posts
what sizes and gearing are you all running? still debating a new tire. any one know the weight diff between the haulers and the extremes? got the stars now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
20-11-9 Haulers. Great hook up, wants to wheelie in very soft sand and no problems climbing the big stuff. If you like carving the dunes you better put some @$$ into it because when you punch it they point you straight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am happy with my 20-10-10 extremes with 9 paddles. little to no power loss with the extra blade and definitely put the power to the ground better than the stars in all racing applications. I agree with all of the characteristics mentioned above if you don't mind spending the extra cake to get the edge on the 450 without em. I'm gonna try the 10 blade extremes after my big bore kit, stage 1 cam, 12:1 pistion, and port job. figure the extra ponies should turn em just fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
raptorDlux said:
what sizes and gearing are you all running? still debating a new tire. any one know the weight diff between the haulers and the extremes? got the stars now.
The weight difference is about 1-2 pounds per tire depending on size. Paddle count is dependent on many things. Mostly size and engine mods. For instance, a 22 inch tall 8 paddle will have as much bite as a 20 inch 10 paddle. And due to less paddle deflection, a 10 paddle Extreme will have about the same bite as an 11-12 paddle regular Hauler. As for recomendations, an internally stock engined Raptor should not run more than about a 7 paddle 22 inch regular Hauler or a 6 paddle Extreme. And for 20 inch tires, not more than an 8 paddle regular Hauler or a 7 paddle Extreme. Any more than this and your top end pull suffers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.