Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im riding today and here a faint clunk click grind sound, so i cut it off and checked the oil and it spewed oil from the res. so i loaded it up and brought it home and pulled the water pump off and there are metal shavings in there. any idieas? im waiting for willy and quadmaniac to chime in. ;)

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
Spewing oil (if you checked immediatley after shutting down) may not mean anything - you need to let it sit for a minute or two....

What made you decide to pull the water pump? - obviously more occurred than you have told us, cuz that wouldn't be the first place I'd look if my only symptoms were a click and spewing oil - more detail, please.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
The spewing oil may mean something, but we need more details.........
As far as removing the water pump, Why did you look there...........

·
Registered
228 Posts
Total novice here so may be totally off the wall... are you getting any one way related symptoms? this could be a cause for shavings in oil. Obviously quadManiac and Willy will be A LOT MORE on the ball than I will

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing more than what i said happened, i took the water pump off to see what it looked like behind it and just as i thought there was metal shavings. i am going to pull the clutch cover right now and see if i can find the now ground up peice and where it came from. and yes i pulled the dipstick right after i shut it down, so agreed spewing oil may be m fault but after i did that i started it again to get it up a hill and when i got home i checked the oil and it seems like it is still at the top of the res.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
holy shit i cracked it open and it lookes like metal shaving heaven my god!! i cant find the missing peice yet but i will pull the clutch and basket off and see how it looks there. pics are coming up btw

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Looks like you found your problem...........clutch basket disintegrated.....
You may have to remove the engine and dismantle and clean the entire engine..............

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man that sucks, 4 rides ago i tore the engine down F me!!!! so the ctutch basket is known for this? would this be the reason for the wiseco baskets and other aftermarket ones?

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
man that sucks, 4 rides ago i tore the engine down F me!!!! so the ctutch basket is known for this? would this be the reason for the wiseco baskets and other aftermarket ones?
Honestly, you may have damaged the clutch basket slightly on assembly, how did you hold the basket when tightening the center nut. Under my profile and threads I describe how to make a very simple clutch basket lock up device.........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, you may have damaged the clutch basket slightly on assembly, how did you hold the basket when tightening the center nut. Under my profile and threads I describe how to make a very simple clutch basket lock up device.........
i held the sprocket with a strap wrench, i don think i touched it on the install but then again who knows. i think i am going to get a completely knew engine and sell this or keep it and build it for when i want more power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts