Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I had an unfortunate mishap at Brushy Ridge when my rings completely took a dump. Therefore I am going to start a little project. My plan for the motor will consist of a +4mm crank and a 686 piston. I need to find out what crank and piston would be the best combo. I've got a stage I cam and do not plan to go any higher for awhile.

For the chassis I would like to put on a Laeger/elka +2 long travel suspension. In the back I was thinking of going with the Gforce +2 +4 axle.

I will also be puttin on a new steering stem and I think I'd like to go with a +1 either Houser or Tag.

So what I would like to know is what would be a good crank/piston setup? Also what do you think about my steering stem and suspension setups? Any info would be greatly aprreciated. I will be posting up pictures of the quad how it sits now and along the way of putting it back together.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where would I get this setup from John? I was thinking Barker but couldn't find any place to buy them. I did want the 102mm wiseco 11:1 piston however.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanx Phucker. I'll prolly be doing that in the next couple days. I won't have pictures tonight cause I'm soo beat from this whole weekend. I woke up Friday morning at 7 and didn't get to sleep until midnight on sunday. Then didn't sleep worth a crap the last couple days. Thanx for the tips so far.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already know im at $3500 or so. It'll cost about $600 for engine parts, then I am paying sumone to put it all in because I don't want to mess with it so about $350, then I believe it's $1750 for the Laeger/elka LT front end, $200 for the axle, roughly $450 for the rear shock, and then about $275 for the steering stem. Those are all rough estimates but hey it's what I wanna do. I know I could get a nice used YFZ for that much and don't get me wrong it'd be dam nice to but I'm not one that likes to save alot of money. I love my raptor and I will always love my raptor I just can't see myself buying another used fourwheeler then going through the same deal I am with this one right now. I've had to put about 2k in repairs and parts already so I'm not going to give up now.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
668rap said:
Where would I get this setup from John? I was thinking Barker but couldn't find any place to buy them. I did want the 102mm wiseco 11:1 piston however.
mike at csr built my motor, he carrys barkers products. i bought the piston awhile before that though through ebay, not sure if mike carrys wiesco

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally found Barkers site. [urlwww.barkersbars.com][/url] Anyways it says it's $479. Is it really worth that much? I know that the Hotrods one is about $120 cheaper but you have to use their piston which would come to the same price as the Barkers with a wiseco. Just wondering if spending $479 on a crank is really worth that much. I will probably go with it anyways just because it will come to the same price either way.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'd rather pay for the Barkers rod and be able to use any piston in the future.

When you order the steering stem don't forget the bar clamp, it suck when you order something like that and then realize you need more parts when you thought you'd be putting it together.

If you have some mechanical knowledge you should read the writeup on raptortranny about the trans upgrade for the 01, it goes thru the entire trans and motor assembly in great detail. Read it a few times, you might save yourself some cash in assembly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's kinda what I was thinking Firstraptor. I do how alot of mechanical knowledge and plan to be an atv/motorcycle mechanic after graduating HS and MMI. However mine is an 02 :) and I shouldn't need to do that. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wasn't intending to suggest that the trans needed updates, just suggesting that the write up can be used for a guide to complete motor assembly, just skip over the areas where they swapout the 01 stuff. You should read it, it's eductional. Yea, I know that's a dirty phrase to a highschool kid, but if your looking at a shop to do the work it may be quicker to do it yourself, then your not waiting on their backlog.
If you want to be a mechanic there's no better place to start than on your own stuff, except when summer's getting near and your looking to ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah after I posted that I figured you prolly meant for me to read it to disassemble and reassemble. Yeah educational... blah lol. But, hey ya gotta learn sumtime. My dad however wants the shop to do it and I told him that I wasn't paying for the shop to do it when I can myself so he decided he'd pay for that portion. The shop we planned on taking it to cannot get the barkers crank but can get the Hotrods so they won't let me just bring in the barkers. Should I just stick with the hotrods then?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See the thing around here is all the shops are like that. These shops are just there to sell and fix stockers and are not really performance shops. I really don't want to package up the motor and spend lotsa $$$ to ship it somewhere either.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The hotrods crank has a good reputation, it does come with a new timing gear and bearing on that side, nothing on the clutch side. It's made in tiawan by the way.

Have you shown your PA the site and the 30 pages of instructions? You might just change his mind about doing it yourself.

Whats the backlog for the shop your looking at? Unfortunately a descent shop will probably have a back log and you'll end up waiting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The shop said that they can bring in a motor at any time if it is already pulled. However a full quad they would have to schedule.

I would also like to say that this project may be no longer. My father has changed his mind plenty of times and is going to try and get me a new 06 yfz 450 SE. This is not for sure yet but if he does I will be listing the whole raptor for a part out sale. He keeps changing his mind on what he wants me to do so lets hope that I get this new one and don't gotta worry about the rappy anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts