Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! My first post here;)

I was driving on the ice today with some friends here in Sweden.

My rappy just died when I was driving. I noticed something was wrong so I went of the track and it just died.

Tried to start but the engine didn´t turn over. It was stuck

I pushed it on the trailer and went home.

When I came home I tried to start it again and it started after a while like notthing had happened

Any ideas?

Its a Raptor 700 -06 with Barker Dual´s, JE 11:1, Hotcam 2, PC3, dynatek ignition, K&N filter And intake

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I´m pretty sure that it isn´t anything of those things.

The starter coulden´t turn the engine around eventhough it tried.

It was like the piston,crankcase or cam was stuck

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Might be a seized crank.

Might want to check electrical connections on battery, starter, and relay next to battery. Mine came loose and did that.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Hi! My first post here;)

I was driving on the ice today with some friends here in Sweden.

My rappy just died when I was driving. I noticed something was wrong so I went of the track and it just died.

Tried to start but the engine didn´t turn over. It was stuck

I pushed it on the trailer and went home.

When I came home I tried to start it again and it started after a while like notthing had happened

Any ideas?

Its a Raptor 700 -06 with Barker Dual´s, JE 11:1, Hotcam 2, PC3, dynatek ignition, K&N filter And intake
ok well thats different, in your post above you said once you got it home it started again like nothing was wrong. well since you think something is stuck take the head off and see whats going on in there:D

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
sounds very similar to the symptoms my friend had with his Kawasaki KLX250 last weekend.

His starter motor would only just turn the engine over, then it would run briefly until it suddenly stopped dead. Then the starter wouldn't budge it for a while. Then it would go again and so on.

Turned out the big end was shot. :mad:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What do you think about this:

When I was driving, the ice sprayed the outside of the cylinder with cold ice. The cylinder became colder and shrink(?) vs the piston who was hotter and tried to expand.

Thats why it seized

Just a theory

Sorry for my bad english::)

Edit: Its called cold seized

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
What do you think about this:

When I was driving, the ice sprayed the outside of the cylinder with cold ice. The cylinder became colder and shrink(?) vs the piston who was hotter and tried to expand.

Thats why it seized

Just a theory

Sorry for my bad english::)

Edit: Its called cold seized
The theory sounds good, but in practice, I think it's very unlikely to happen. I've crashed into ice cold puddles (with lumps of ice floating around on top 50mm thick) and through snow drifts and never suffered any problems.

Most seized engine problems develop from lack of lubrication, excesive heat or old age.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
A seized crank is not all that uncommon on the 700s. If you do some searching, there are a few threads here on it.

If that's what it ends up being, you could replace it with a +5 HotRods crank. They are very affordable and will give you some gains in performance.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
You will hear mixed opinions on the quality, but many have had good luck with them on the 700s. I ended up putting one in my 700. If you wanted to spend a little more, you could go with a Falicon or Crankworks crank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If u got the money just go with aftermart piston. Much more reliable than stock imo

·
Registered
64 Posts
The theory sounds good, but in practice, I think it's very unlikely to happen. I've crashed into ice cold puddles (with lumps of ice floating around on top 50mm thick) and through snow drifts and never suffered any problems.

Most seized engine problems develop from lack of lubrication, excesive heat or old age.
I agree. I just had mine out yesterday and slushy roards if front of my house and had no problems what so ever with cold water or ice constantly hitting the motor

1 - 20 of 52 Posts