Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the members who read the Advice needed... topic I'm posting an update and would like to say thank you to everybody for the advice and the warm welcome. Especially the Forum members from Canada who seems to have a cold weather frequently but a warm heart.

Good news, turns out that the neighbour down the road has two quads, Raptor 450 and a limited edition 250. This weekend we hooked up and took them to a local mx track and my son got a chance to sit on the Raptor 250.
He reaches all of the controls and his feet are firmly planted on the pegs. Hand is going to be a problem as he reaches the clutch but I’ll have to mod it a bit by bending it to bring the lever closer to the handle bar. All considered he looks a bit dwarfed on the raptor…
I asked my new friend whether Channing can try it and I get a positive … thumbs up. My son doesn’t squeal about the gantlet thrown down before him but tackles this new challenge with zest. A last confirmed question “ARE YOU SCARED” is nullified with a deep stare and an adamant “NO”. I’m feeling intimidated on my sons behalf
I explain everything, clutch, throttle and how taking of the clutch should co-incide with a gentle squeeze of the thumb throttle. Clutch pulled and down in first I guide him about letting out the clutch slowly and feeling till it takes. I have to remind him to stop looking at the controls and instead watch where he is going. Armed with the lanyard for the kill switch which is wrapped around my hand my son starts to roll and I panic and rip the kill switch out clean. Another hairy intimidating stare from my son lets me know that I’m an idiot. With everything back in place he starts her up again and I start jogging next to the raptor in my mx boots. He handles it beautifully; good throttle control and turns around when I instruct him to. Back to where we took of initially and I have to remind him to pull in the clutch and brake at the same time. I get him to take off again and come to stand. First steps of teaching him clutch control went smooth, very smooth. My nerves are finished, he begs for more and I deny him the pleasure. The 250 he has been rising has not throttle limiter and came standard with the GYTR pipe and GYTR Air filter so it would be a lot more horses than the one his getting… well that’s my story and my legs are killing me.
I question my son about the experience and this is his input.
1. Do you understand how a clutch works
Answer: Not really
2. Did you have any problems with the controls
Answer: My clutch hand is hurting
3. Do you still want a Raptor 250 or a raptor 90
Answer: I get that STARE again.
That’s been my experience for the weekend, now only one thing remains. There are dads / mothers that have been through the experience of introducing their kids to the same thing I’m about to. I need some pointers or tricks that you have acquired during this process and what worked and what should not be included in the instructions. I’ve always been a listener and I climbed on an YZ 125 for the first time in December 2010. Before doing track riding I questioned the local riders about the do’s and don’ts and that helped me tremendously.
The experience… advice I’m looking for is riding position, legs clamped etc. Now guys remember… I’m not a quad rider… you guys ARE !!!... so you would give me the best advice

Thanks

Mufassa

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rappy'97

That would be for my son's rappie (250) arriving on the 25 of this month :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi rappy'97

I would'nt know where to start with riding technique... at the moment his on a Aeon Mini Kolt 50, which basically gives him carte blanch as it does not have the power or speed to require riding skills. More of a point and throttle situation at the moment. I know that when he gets the Rappie 250 he will need to apply specific techniques with regards to riding position / what to do in corners etc. I guess its like golf, when you end up getting a bad habit its going to be diffucult to get rid of it. So I'd like to start my son with the right general habits and control.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
If he is riding on a track, he will be standing most of the time. When in corners, just lean off the side, depending on what the berm is like. I would start with a smaller bend of handle bars for him, it will bring the controls closer to him, and have less of a rise. I guess it is hard for me to explain how to ride, it just comes natural to me, and I dont even think about how I approach it. I taught myself how to ride a real quad a year and a half ago, so I am new to it aswell. Sorry.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
For the clutch lever, you should just get an ASV lever for it. They are kind of expensive, but they have an adjustable reach for smaller hands. That way you wouldn't have to bend the already weak stock lever. As for the ridding style, I know that at dealerships here, when you buy an ATV, the dealership offers a free riders safety course which teaches basic technique and style. Do they offer that where you are?

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
I was self taught when it came to the clutch basically...
Once you take off the rest is history! All I can say is I am sure he will get a feel for it.

But I know on my 250 1st or 2nd was perfect for taking off IF he has trouble let him (If in an open area) Put it in 1st and rev it mid throttle and let him dump the clutch out (Let it out fast) With his light weight and stock tires on soft ground it will break loose and he will be rolling in 1 second. (This isn't much good in tight or hard packed areas)
BUT This is how I helped teach a friend who kept stalling.. It's better to rev a bit then stall.
As you do this they get better at it and start to get a feel for it..

I just recently taught a girl (180LBS NEVER EVER had been on ANY ATV's before in her life or anything with handle bars and a clutch) Yeah, as I was saying I taught her how to ride my big3 700 Raptor....... Yeah that was a little crazy but I did... Mostly due to her great learning ability. Some people just catch up quick. I don't think she ever went any faster than 30 but she got the hang of it for someone who never even shifted before.

When I got my 250 raptor I came off a auto clutch manual ATV so I had a big heads up.

I think your son will catch on just fine.

Far as riding tech. Make sure he holds on?? I really don't know what to say it normally comes natural and you progress slowly BUT I told this to the girl I taught. "Going up hill, Lean up hill. going down hill lean up hill" In other words Lean or tip as so your body is straight with gravity... Although when cornering sit or to be more aggressive lean on the inside.

Hope I helped :lol:
Good luck :beer:

·
Registered
191 Posts
My daughter is 15 and couldn't change gears or use a clutch In about 15 mins she was taking off from a dead stop and shifting into second.
The second time we went out she was riding it no probs.
You will be surprised how much things will sink in when they have time off the bike to think about things.
We have a 90 that she absolutely thrashes and has a lot of fun on.
She will ride the 700 but still has more fun on the 90 simply because she can thrash it.
The raptor is to big for her to cut loose on.
I would start with a 125max and then a 250 in a couple of years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody... Stuckey I ordered the ASV Levers and they will be here in about 4 weeks time. I believe you have to remove the parking brake to fit them. Has anybody her managed a work around to retain the park brake.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
People will mount them on the frame. Ask Chris, FlwoodsRaptor, I think he mounted it somewhere. It would be easiest to just buy a Parking Brake Block Off. They are only like $10 and look really nice IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good NEWS

The Raptor arrived this morning at the dealership, and we popped in to have a look. They were fitting the nerf bars... Protaper handlebars and the wheel spacers as well as the cut-off switch.

It's absolutely beatifull, my son is so exited (and me). I dont see any mayor difference except for the sticker on the tank that says "Light Weight Edition".

Well my son sat on it and looked right at home. If the BANK moves its arse it would be in the garage by this afternoon.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ITS OFFICIAL... WE NOW BELONG IN THE RAPPY 250 FORUM, what an amazing feeling

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Congrats Mufassa! Glad to hear that everything has worked out for you and your son! Post up some ridding pics when you get a chance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was self taught when it came to the clutch basically...
Once you take off the rest is history! All I can say is I am sure he will get a feel for it.

But I know on my 250 1st or 2nd was perfect for taking off IF he has trouble let him (If in an open area) Put it in 1st and rev it mid throttle and let him dump the clutch out (Let it out fast) With his light weight and stock tires on soft ground it will break loose and he will be rolling in 1 second. (This isn't much good in tight or hard packed areas)
BUT This is how I helped teach a friend who kept stalling.. It's better to rev a bit then stall.
As you do this they get better at it and start to get a feel for it..

I just recently taught a girl (180LBS NEVER EVER had been on ANY ATV's before in her life or anything with handle bars and a clutch) Yeah, as I was saying I taught her how to ride my big3 700 Raptor....... Yeah that was a little crazy but I did... Mostly due to her great learning ability. Some people just catch up quick. I don't think she ever went any faster than 30 but she got the hang of it for someone who never even shifted before.

When I got my 250 raptor I came off a auto clutch manual ATV so I had a big heads up.

I think your son will catch on just fine.

Far as riding tech. Make sure he holds on?? I really don't know what to say it normally comes natural and you progress slowly BUT I told this to the girl I taught. "Going up hill, Lean up hill. going down hill lean up hill" In other words Lean or tip as so your body is straight with gravity... Although when cornering sit or to be more aggressive lean on the inside.

Hope I helped :lol:
Good luck :beer:
My first experience with a clutch was in a z28 camaro w/ built 355 and 5spd, very exilerating :wow:

I also taught myself how to ride, my first quad was last july and i can beat all my buddys on the track and theyve been riding for years. i wish i couldve stated younger :( ohh well i need a bigger quad now...i grew bored with mine, handles amazing but i crave more power,

your son will do great! be prepared in a few years to hear him asking for more power lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts