Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering bang for your buck which is better? Is N.O.S reliable if not abused? Would you run a fogger system or direct? Thanks for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,997 Posts
Lower compression is actually better for nitrous. Especially if your going to be using a lot. Your going to see better gains from nitrous (if you inject enough) than you would porting and HC Piston, but the biggest difference is your going to have that power all the time with the porting and HC Piston not just when your bottle is full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
www.bossnoss.com. I have this system installed with the 20hp jet. Very reliable and works great. Tech is correct though. You would have all that power available all the time. The difference is with a bike that has the 3 mods puts your right at 50hp plus 20hp for the spray and you have a very fast bike. You will not get that performance with headwork and a hi-comp piston, and the cost would be pretty close to the same. Just my $.02. Some of the more experienced guys might chime in here and give you a perspective that I can't.

Craig,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
that webstie takes you to a forum.... where can you buy this nitrous kit ? ? like the one that you have...??? any webstie, or company on the internet, so i can read about it..

Plattner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
techquadshop said:
We carry both boondockers and NOS kits. Been real happy with the boondockers so far.
Are their any problems with the N.O.S. kits.
I looked on their website and the only kit i can see is the 03001NOS kit
Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
plattner said:
that webstie takes you to a forum.... where can you buy this nitrous kit ? ? like the one that you have...??? any webstie, or company on the internet, so i can read about it..

Plattner



Plattner, if you have a PCIII then that boondockers or boss kit won't work for you. They run a Dobeck hybred controller that fattens up the fuel while you inject the N2o.

I would run the NX single cylinder wet system, it comes with it's own fuel pump and does not rely on the EFI system for it's fuel supply. My personall opinion is the wet system with a fogger nozle tapped into your manifold at the cylinder with a N2o regulator from PSI on the bottle is the only way to go. I am not a fan of the dry systems and their components. Plastic lines and plastic thumb screw valves (boondocker dry systems) have no place in a good Nitrous system IMHO. Talljess on this forum has been running a wet system with good results so you might contact him about it. There was a thread on here about it awhile back, and I posted the part numbers and info for the wet system check this http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=6389.0

That thread is fairly old, I still have the NX wet system but have not yet felt the urge to install it on my machine but others are having good trouble free results with the same system.

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
Thanks for all the info Randy... It was just a thought... i was wanting to check prices... Can you shoot me a PM and give me an estimate on how much a system like yours cost.... the wet system... with everything needed... i was a VERY small system, pretty much want to be able to give it like the smallest shot of NOS possible, just for a little jolt when if 5th....But please shoot me a PM..

Thanks
Plattner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
techquadshop said:
Lower compression is actually better for nitrous. Especially if your going to be using a lot. Your going to see better gains from nitrous (if you inject enough) than you would porting and HC Piston, but the biggest difference is your going to have that power all the time with the porting and HC Piston not just when your bottle is full.
No it isn't. Lower compression is safer, but isn't where nitrous makes the most gains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Safer and better! Better in as far as durability and reliability and safe for the obvious. I was specifically told, to be safe, not to run my 30hp jet with the stock rod. If I had a hi-comp piston the problem would be compounded enought that the 20hp jet might damage my rod. In drag racing applications you can see hi-comp on spray but those engines are purpose built and run 1/4 mile at a time. They are generally broken down after each event. They are also built with the variables in mind. I would think the same would apply to us. If you are just using your bike to drag, great, but if you also do a lot of real world riding I would think the port and polish etc, would yield more appreciable results that last. Just my $.02.

Craig,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Hey randy what if you ran this Nitrious :grin_nod: You would be at almost 100 HP :burnout: I bet no banshee can touch that for sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Ice4me said:
Hey randy what if you ran this Nitrious :grin_nod: You would be at almost 100 HP :burnout: I bet no banshee can touch that for sure.
Believe me, I have gave this alot of thought, I have run N2o systems from the old sneaky pete system by NOS on my TRX250R to full on pro shot fogger systems with multie stages on my drag cars so I know when it's set up and tuned right it's pretty safe, having said that I have the NX system just sitting here, I just havent had the sack to put it on yet ;) I would hate to blow the crank right out of the bottom of this thing if it doesn't handle the extra HP after just sinking 3 grand into the build :eek: Eventually, when the newness wears off and my wallett quits hemoraging I'll install it and jet it for a 20 shot and see how it likes it :grin_nod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
plattner said:
that webstie takes you to a forum.... where can you buy this nitrous kit ? ? like the one that you have...??? any webstie, or company on the internet, so i can read about it..

Plattner



Plattner, if you have a PCIII then that boondockers or boss kit won't work for you. They run a Dobeck hybred controller that fattens up the fuel while you inject the N2o.

I would run the NX single cylinder wet system, it comes with it's own fuel pump and does not rely on the EFI system for it's fuel supply. My personall opinion is the wet system with a fogger nozle tapped into your manifold at the cylinder with a N2o regulator from PSI on the bottle is the only way to go. I am not a fan of the dry systems and their components. Plastic lines and plastic thumb screw valves (boondocker dry systems) have no place in a good Nitrous system IMHO. Talljess on this forum has been running a wet system with good results so you might contact him about it. There was a thread on here about it awhile back, and I posted the part numbers and info for the wet system check this http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=6389.0

That thread is fairly old, I still have the NX wet system but have not yet felt the urge to install it on my machine but others are having good trouble free results with the same system.

Randy
IMO... the wet direct is the best way to go and I bought mine from nitrous express.. Have had great results and right now my best run was a 7.2 with a 25 shot. Their service really sold me on the product.
 

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Remeber, adding things like NOS moves the weak link down tha chain. I have built a few motors in my life, most of them V8s (289, 327, 350, 383, 454 etc.) but the stock motor is only designed to handle a certain amount of power. when you start gettin power up too high with out changing other components, things start to break. Personally, I wouldn't run Nitro on a stock build, it needs a forged piston and better bottom end all together, clutch needs to be upgraded, etc. There are a lot of factors in building a high HP engine, you can only go so far before the HP finds the weakest thing and sends it through the side of the engine.

Doing things like porting, cams and HC pistons are going to add power, and they tend to keep the power closer to the limits of the stock build. Your bike will be fast, and it will last longer, unless you have a bunch of money and time to rebuild motors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
a wet system Will run fine on a stock(3 mods) motor ...but you need to add more fuel ..several systems do this by running an extra fuel pump..I have run approx...14 or so 2lb bottles through my system and have had no ill effects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help and info guys. I do alot of bush riding as well as dune. I think I will stick with the piston and porting for now. Does anyone know roughly what hp I would be sitting at with the basic three mods,12-1 piston,a web cam and some mild porting?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top