Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my renthal chain and sprocket kit today. I have both sprockets off but I can't seem
to find the "master" chain link on the stock chain. I have a chain breaker all I need to know
is what pin to push out. I looked over the whole chain on both sides and to the best of my
vision did not see any markings to indicate. All of the pins look to be peened down so I know
there has to be one that has to be pushed out the is the "master link" pin. Please help ASAP. Thanks!! :eek:

·
Registered
468 Posts
There isn't a master link on this chain. What exactly are you installing, size wise? I had a local shop erroneously add two links to my chain to make a 15t counter fit. Idiots! I even went so far as to explain how to do it and they still did it wrong and would not let me in the back to watch. I should have insisted.

Craig,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just running stock gears 14/38 for now. I got a good deal on a chain and sprocket combo. So it doesn't matter which pin I push out?? Thank you so much for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other genaric ?......Is the new renthal chain directional? Does the master link pin go in from the left side of the quad or the right. Or does none of this matter. This is my first time
installing a chain which is why I am asking these ??s

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would call Renthal, or check their website. You'll get the answers there i'm sure. I wouldn't know what to do with either.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
uti5984 said:
One other genaric ?......Is the new renthal chain directional? Does the master link pin go in from the left side of the quad or the right. Or does none of this matter. This is my first time
installing a chain which is why I am asking these ??s
Chains are not directional. The link instals from the back just to make installation easier. The link master link slide IS directional if it is a clip type. Make sure that the open end is facing away from the chain drive direction. Otherwise the chain rotation can unlock it as it rotates into any obstructions. Get a second clip style master link to pack under your seat along with a spare spark plug or in your tool kit. It is rare that it comes undone, but shit happens and you don't want to take a chance on getting stranded. It's cheap insurance.
If it is the type that you peen the stud over then disregard that. But I would carry a clip style master link in your pack for emergencies.

http://www.ekchain.com/install.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts