Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 05 660 and I guess it sat for a few mounths before I got it. I have not really given a good run yet but it seems that the clutch is dragging. When I put it in gear with the clutch pulled it lunges forword only when engine is cold, when it is warmed up clutch works fine. Should I plan a clutch rebuild or do I just need to get those clutch plates loosend up? I tried adjusting the cable it did not help. Thanks for any ones advice.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Just bought a 05 660 and I guess it sat for a few mounths before I got it. I have not really given a good run yet but it seems that the clutch is dragging. When I put it in gear with the clutch pulled it lunges forword only when engine is cold, when it is warmed up clutch works fine. Should I plan a clutch rebuild or do I just need to get those clutch plates loosend up? I tried adjusting the cable it did not help. Thanks for any ones advice.
Totally normal when cold..............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Can you please explain?
Cold oil is thicker then hot oil so the clutch plates do not drag as easily when the oil is hot, since this a multiple disc clutch, any oil between the discs will drag the clutch plates when disengaged........

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Agreed, absolutely normal due to viscous friction between cold oil and clutch plates. If it bothers you, you can go to a lower oil viscosity - 10w30 instead of 10w40 or 20w50, for instance. This will reduce the drag when cold, but not eliminate it.

What temperature is the bike at when cold, these days?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts