Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor just picked up a Yamaha Bruin 250 4X4 utility quad. It is a 2006 model. It is a one time owner and the original owner was a female. She took real good care of it and it was garaged kept. When my neighbor purchased it a few days ago, he came by and let me check it out. Everything looks great on it. He told me that it set up for 2 years. Upon opening the air filter intake (which was completely locked) we discovered it full of dog food. Has anyone every seen that before?! The next day he took it out for a spin and it died on him three different times. The battery is completely dead, so he had to pull start it. He told me that while he was riding, it started to produce white smoke then sputter and die. He checked the oil, and discovered that it was completely empty. He filled it took the full mark, but it would not crank at all. We pushed it back to his place and he tried charging the battery. Unsuccessful on that, we then jumped started it. It would not crank. There is proper spark, and the fuel switch is on. After several minutes, it finally started, but he had to have it a full chock and hold down the throttle to keep it running. The engine was making a ticking noise, like there was no oil to lube the lifters. If he released the throttle, then the engine would completely die out completely. He only did this for a minute or so. My question is, since it was so low on oil and now it seems like the crank case has minimum oil even though the dip stick show full, where do we go from here to keep this thing running? Or what is your diagnose?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
dog food in the filter means there was mice in there...was the filter in good shape? why didn't he check the oil before the first ride ???

·
Registered
386 Posts
+1 on the rats or mice.hopfully he didnt do to much dammage to the motor with no oil in it, but the hard starting maby because it sat so long i would clean the carb ,sounds like its not getting enough fuel, probably pluged...and batteries will lose there charge if not touched for awile ,might need a new one,smoke might be from choke and throtle wide open and not firing right away it might have unburnt fuel.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check all fluids and tune it before you ride it if you buy a used machine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas for the input. He is planning on buying a new battery, so that problem will be fixed. What does he have to do to make sure his crank shaft is getting enough oil? The dip reads good, and so far he has added two full quarts of oil to it. When he had to hold down the throttle to keep the engine started, the engine was making a ticking noise. Sorta like the lifters were moving without any lubrication. There was no smoke or any other unusual noise. Just that ticking sound. Good point on the carb being blocked. That is most likely the culprit of why he has to hold down the throttle to keep it running. Once he clean the carb, if he let's it idle long enough, will the oil finally make its way up into the crank area? Or do you have to open up the engine?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update... The carburetor is fine. We discovered that there is gas in the oil tank area. Pulled the spark plug wire off, and there is no compression at all. You can put your finger on the hole where the spark plug goes when you try to start it and you can keep it there with no problem. The intake is not only sucking air when you try to crank it, but also releasing the exhaust as well. The ticking noise and not starting sums it up to be damaged rocker, valve, or crank. We have to crack the engine open to take a look. It sucks for him, but let there be a lesson learned to properly check out a used quad before you take off on a journey. Hard lesson to learn. So, with that said. Best case scenario he will need a engine rebuilt kit, and worst case scenario another engine replacement. So can someone help us out with any prices out there. Unfortunately we located overseas in Germany (US Mil) so we don't have the luxury of going to your local shop/junk yard, etc... I'm trying to be a good guy and help him out. He only paid $1700 for it, talked them down from $2000. But now it is an expensive paperweight. We will know exactly the specifics when we crack it open, but I'd like to get the jump from my fellow Americans. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
386 Posts
first crack the case to asses the situation and that with any luck will tell you what the problem/s are then you have two choices you can look on ebay for replacement motor but will take a chance with that or get the parts nesesary to rebuild it.
also a chance to upgrade it ie high comp piston
when order ing parts i normally go to
www.rockymountainatvmc.com

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had mice actually chew through the intake tube, and make a nest in the actual air filter....the machine was sitting in a barn for three years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts