Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Raptor 700R, 2nd day into my 5 day trip with a bike that won’t run! HELP !!
Last weekend I did a completed oil change and cleaned the air box since it sat all winter. Thursday of this week the bike got to the facility we traveled to ride. The bike started and ran great all day. Today September 11th the bike started and ran this morning great and ran hard on the race track. Came back due to fuel light coming on filled the bike up and rode for another hour. It then rained hard and me and my buddy’s bikes were in the rain for about 2-4 hours. We went to go ride and I started my bike and it started, I drove about 20ft and the bike wanted to cut off. It then shut off and I couldn’t get it to start and when it would crank over it would just shut right off. I added more oil into the oil tank and still couldn’t get it to start.
I can get it to fire once every 6 - 10 try’s and if I would start it would backfire badly and you would try to keep it idling and it would eventually shut its self off. I pulled the fuel pump out the tank and looked at the filter and it’s clean. i pulled the fuel line off the pump and the pump pushes fuel out the line and the pump turns on and off. I put a new spark plug in the engine but still can’t get it to fire off. I’ve checked every connector and connection to see if anything was slightly lose and found no bad connection. The air filter is clean and nothing is clogging up the air box.
The bike is never ran extremely hard if I’m on the track it’s usually for 2-3 laps tops. It also only get driven 1 or two times a year but I do start it and keep it up to date all year long.
does anyone think it’s just bad gas ? Or can it be something electrical or engine problems?

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you ran it for an hour after you gassed it probably not bad gas. The only thing that changed is it got wet. I'd wait until morning after it has dried and see if it fires then. If you have compressed air I'd blow out all the connectors and add dielectric grease. If any of your buddies have the same quad I'd swap a few parts, coil and ecu come to mind, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you ran it for an hour after you gassed it probably not bad gas. The only thing that changed is it got wet. I'd wait until morning after it has dried and see if it fires then. If you have compressed air I'd blow out all the connectors and add dielectric grease. If any of your buddies have the same quad I'd swap a few parts, coil and ecu come to mind, and see if that helps.
So it could be more of an electrical issue then a fuel problem ?
what coil do you mean by switching. My buddy has the same quad and year as me. But I can get it to run sometimes and when it does it just idles like crap and will bog out in about 3-5 min. If it’s a wet connector could it really cut it off once running. I had the bike apart and most of the connectors looked fairly dry

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
most of the connectors looked fairly dry
Fairly dry?? I like to add dielectric to all pins to insure no corrosion and dryness.

Check all pins for straightness when going back together, a common problem.

Is it possible your gas cans got water in them? You could have gotten bad fuel from a gas station. Shake the can lightly, then pour some in a clear container, allow about a hour and check if it separates. NOTE; BE EXTREAMLY CAREFULL DOING THIS!!

If you're not using a fuel stabilizer, old fuel in the tank, can turn to varnish and plug the fuel system. I would dump out the tank, purchase NEW fuel as well as some injector cleaner used double strength in about 1/2 gal of fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts