Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
06 raptor 700,
inside the crank case there are two marks "I" and a 1/4 inch past is a dash "|" which one!?
The one to the right when it is at the top...........
Usually a I, the other must have a longer slash...........

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
The one to the right when it is at the top...........
Usually a I, the other must have a longer slash...........
+1...generally when you turn the crank in the proper direction you will see a mark "I" just prior to the TDC mark. Or as Willy said "The one to the right"

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I was wondering that same thing but when I started looking at the other marks they weren't at the right position so then I figured out it was the | not the "I" mark.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
just to make sure check the timing chain sprocket to see that both marks line up. notch in the sprocket and top of the head.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
That can be difficult to determine without a degree wheel. The two marks are pretty close together.
So did I screw my self since I put the marks on the chain and sproket but when I was cleaning the head the marks came off of the cam sproket? If I line up the lower line and the line on the sproket will I be ok getting it back on?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So did I screw my self since I put the marks on the chain and sproket but when I was cleaning the head the marks came off of the cam sproket? If I line up the lower line and the line on the sproket will I be ok getting it back on?
Set your crank at TDC and line up the cam so the marks are horizontal with the head with the third cam timing mark on top......... Keep the chain tight on the front side of the engine....... Z

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
marks meaning the bolts? and is there an easy way to get the chain on? To get it off I had to pull the one side off then spin it to get the chain off of the gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thankx for all your help guys. i just started ripping stuff apart and didnt mark or take note of where things where. epic fail. but i got it now!

700scott
to get the timing chain of the sproket you must take the chain tighter off. its on the backside of the jug. 19mm and 2 allen bolts. dont remove the sproket, unless needed.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
thankx for all your help guys. i just started ripping stuff apart and didnt mark or take note of where things where. epic fail. but i got it now!

700scott
to get the timing chain of the sproket you must take the chain tighter off. its on the backside of the jug. 19mm and 2 allen bolts. dont remove the sproket, unless needed.
Yep I took the tightener off the chain was loose but not loose enough to just pull it off.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
marks meaning the bolts? and is there an easy way to get the chain on? To get it off I had to pull the one side off then spin it to get the chain off of the gear.
It looks like there are two recipients on this one thread.
By the way you have ask your question it appears that you have the cam 180 degrees out. When you are at TDC on the compression stroke the cam should be in a position with the cam lobes up and out meaning all the valves are closed on the compression stroke. Only then will you see the timing marks on the cam chain gear that Willy was telling you about. There are three marks, one horizontal on the right one straight up and one horizontal on the left when you are at TDC. Remove the chain tensioner before you remove the valve cover. Remove the bolts securing the Cam Gear and roll the gear Off the cam and out from under the chain. Don't drop the decompression weights, springs or plates when doing this.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I don't remember the marks on the sproket. I sent it out the HDD already. But I guess as long as all the marks line up when putting it back together it will run. I saw some write up about putting marker marks on the sproket and chain but the marks on the sproket rubbed off so I won't be able to match it back up when I put it back together.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the marker marks...It may be ok to have them but always check your top dead center first and make sure your cam in the "valves closed" position. The marks are useless if the cam chain pops off the lower sprocket and you have to re-thread it back onto the crank gear. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
HDD is doing a HC3 cam and P&P so I won't have anything to do with the cam. I guess when I get it back I'll have a better idea what you guys are talking about since then I can see in front of me. Going by memeber I'm a little lost. I just remember the line down where the case is and the line on the sproket that had to be lined up at the top of the head.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
HDD is doing a HC3 cam and P&P so I won't have anything to do with the cam. I guess when I get it back I'll have a better idea what you guys are talking about since then I can see in front of me. Going by memeber I'm a little lost. I just remember the line down where the case is and the line on the sproket that had to be lined up at the top of the head.
Its not that hard 700Scott, Just follow the book ..WillyKiller & BlueRanger660 explaned it pritty good, Just make sure your piston is at TDC, cam is lined up right & all the dots are in the right position on the cam gear...
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Ok Thanks Banshee. This is my first 4 stroke motor rebuild so I want to make sure I get it comeletely. The 2 strokes were easy just bolt it back together and your good to go.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ok Thanks Banshee. This is my first 4 stroke motor rebuild so I want to make sure I get it comeletely. The 2 strokes were easy just bolt it back together and your good to go.
No problem, I know the feeling. I did my 1st 4 stroke last winter..It was my 3 pluger,now I know my bike inside & out..LOL

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
No problem, I know the feeling. I did my 1st 4 stroke last winter..It was my 3 pluger,now I know my bike inside & out..LOL
I know the outside but the inside is scary. :lol: I guess if I have extra bolts when I'm done I know I did it right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts