Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have way to much slack in chain and loosened axle bolts and tensioner lock bolt.. screwed in tigtener as far as i can and chain is still way to slack..
I guess I need a new chain ( im gonna replace front and rear sprockets as well)

Heres my question...when i get the new chain I assume it is not connected yet?? Will I need a tool (chain press) to put it together..

Also i read my cylmer manual and it says I have to remove shock and swingam?? just to replace chain?/

I guess im a little lost...Help would kindly be appreciated for this old man..
take care guys

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
My first thought would be to remove a link, but if the chain was once properly tensioned and has simply gotten loose from wear then I think it's a good time to replace it. If this is the case then swapping out the sprockets is a good idea as well.

You will not "need" a chain press, a clip on style masterlink is most common and does not require special tools to install. However a clip on style masterlink with o-rings can be difficult to squeeze together and a chain press can make things easier. I own a press but I buy non-o-ring chains and rarely find a need to use the press.

You do not need to remove the shock and swingarm to install the new chain, but if you're using the stock chain right now which has no masterlink you may need to cut it off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I have way to much slack in chain and loosened axle bolts and tensioner lock bolt.. screwed in tigtener as far as i can and chain is still way to slack..
I guess I need a new chain ( im gonna replace front and rear sprockets as well)

Heres my question...when i get the new chain I assume it is not connected yet?? Will I need a tool (chain press) to put it together..

Also i read my cylmer manual and it says I have to remove shock and swingam?? just to replace chain?/

I guess im a little lost...Help would kindly be appreciated for this old man..
take care guys
If you do not have a chain press--Make sure the new chain comes with a clip style masterlink. A rivet style is much better but requires a chain rivet/press. And No you do not have to remove the shock and swingarm atleast I've never had to. If you change the rear sprocket you do need to remove left tire and hub.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You must have beat me to it MadDog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys so quick to help, thank you.. Can a metal blade on a sawz all cut a chain?
also anyone know stock lug nut size for raptor660 2004-- im missing a few haha!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks guys so quick to help, thank you.. Can a metal blade on a sawz all cut a chain?
also anyone know stock lug nut size for raptor660 2004-- im missing a few haha!
14mm nut. A saw zaw should cut it, But can be done alot better with a right angle grinder. Make sure you install new ones with a washer like how they come stock

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I order a did x chain will it come with the "washer"
also I checked renthals website and put in my bike 04 660r
and they say oem is 41T rear sprocket, but oem is 40T?
would it make a difference when i order a 520X92 chain?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I order a did x chain will it come with the "washer"
also I checked renthals website and put in my bike 04 660r
and they say oem is 41T rear sprocket, but oem is 40T?
would it make a difference when i order a 520X92 chain?
The washer is for the lug nuts, Checkout rockymountainatvmc.com for the chain. They have good prices plus match products exactly to your specific machine. I'd recommend gettting a chain breaker or rivet tool Like that you can remove links the right way. Plus there cheap, And 92 links will work fine with stock gearing and up to 1 tooth less on the rear. IMO

·
VIP
1,064 Posts
To remove the stock chain, you can use a grinder to grind down the two rivets of one link of the chain. Once the rivets are ground flush with the link, you can pry the link off with a flat screwdriver.

When I install an o ring chain, I use a set of needle nose vise grips to squeeze the o ring's enough to be able to install the c-clip. I squeeze the center first and then work both sides and the center again, squeezing them evenly until you can see the groove for the c-clip is flush with the link on both sides, so it can be installed.

Make sure to install the c-clip on the inside of the sprocket's to keep it away from any debris that could possibly knock it off and install it with the open end of the clip towards the rear of the machine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the lugs...14mm head X 10mm tapered or not?
which ones at rockymountain will work...I have stock wheels..
sorry to be a bother just trying to save money

·
Registered
116 Posts
For the lugs...14mm head X 10mm tapered or not?
which ones at rockymountain will work...I have stock wheels..
sorry to be a bother just trying to save money
14mm head not sure about the thread pitch. And I mentioned rockymountain for your chain purchase. The lug nut and washer can be purchased at any decent hardware store.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i just put a EK MVXZ chain on my raptor, was 120 link but took links out to take it to the right size. they also make new master links that use tiny nuts instead of clips/rivets

1 - 12 of 12 Posts