Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I need your help. I'm stumped. I took my 2006 Rappy out 4 months ago and rode it in the snow and yesterday when i went to ride it. The battery was totally dead. So we jumped it with jumper cables from my friend Bobby's truck.

It started right up and idled for 10 seconds then stalled.. Then we jumped it again and this time i gave it a little gas while it was in neutral so it would not stall. Then I got on it and rode it for 30 feet.. It was bogging and sputtering. I figured maybe the spark plug. I put a new plug in and it did the same thing.. This quad always ran great. I also noticed that when i was driving it and it was started that little yellow light popped up.. It looked like a check engine light.. It had what looks like a little square tranny light.. It wasn't the temp light..

I did top it off with a gallon and a half of fresh fuel..Any body have any idea's?? Maybe the battery needs to be completely charged or the injectors are dirty. I am not sure what to check or do...:(

·
Registered
510 Posts
Junk old gas......Did you stabil it before storing? check airbox for mice (nest)?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Looks like your injectors are gummed up. Maybe you should of emptied that bad gas. Next time use some fuel stabilizer because after a couple of months the gas goes bad. You know when its bad, when it smells like varnish. Actually my gas power generator is full of varnished gas from sitting too long. Someone said to add sea foam and it would maybe (im not 100% sure on this) fix your problem. First off empty the bad gas and give it some new gas with some injector cleaner to see if it fixes it. Id say a full good tank of gas. Pretty sure those injectors are gummed. You got to clean em and get rid of that gas...Let me know if it helps. And yes a fully charged battery is always better than a half full power bat.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Fuel starts to break down as quick as 3 months, even though you put fresh fuel in the tank the fuel in the line is not "fresh" neither is what was still in the tank. Not sayin that this is the problem just giving something else to think about.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No I did not stabil the fuel before storage.. I should have though..Duh..

Ok.. So you guys are saying.. Drain the fuel and put some fresh fuel with the stabilizer in it to clean the injectors?? and fully charge the battery..

What concerns me is that check engine orange light came on. It looks like a square.. Its the light to the right of the need gas light..Should I be worried? Will dirty injectors cause this light to come on?

Any other things I should check? Thanks..

·
Registered
510 Posts
Start with the gas and injector cleaner.....startron or seafoam works well. Might have to run it for quite a bit for it to clear out.
Also don't forget to chech the air box..(nest)

This all could be related to your check engine light coming on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had to fully charge my battery before my check engine light went off. It also ran like shit, but after i charged my battery it was fine. After sittin for 4 months, I would also drain the fuel as the previous poster implied.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I would say battery before injector gummed up. charge or replace battery so bike will start on its own and readdress the concern.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Guys. I will drain the fuel and charge the battery and let you guys know how i make out..

BTW-Is it easy to get the battery out and is there anything I should watch out for? I don't wanna zapped..lol.. Also I don't have a charger.. What is a good one? Thanks..:)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Get a trickle charger from an auto parts store. Don't worry about draining the gas it's no big deal old gas is still gas. 3 month old gas wouldn't be old enough to disuade me. Charge it up and fire it up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This winter I left my key on for about 3 weeks, I had to jump it to get it started it ran but not great it sat outside all night and got really cold the next day I went to go riding but it wouldnt run as soon as I took the jumper cables off it would die. I ended up having to take the battery out and let it warm up before it would take a charge so I can see how not enough battery voltage would make it not run.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok.. Thanks gus. I will pick up a trickle charger.. 2 Questions..

Is there anything i should watch out for while taking the battery out? Dont wanna short any thing out...

Also can I just trickle charge the battery with it still in the rappy? I guess for safety maybe??

·
Registered
311 Posts
this machines doesnt like to run with deads battery or no battery at all.you can do that on a carbed yfz but not on a efi raptor.

·
VIP
1,070 Posts
I suggest a C TEK battery charger for any vehicle or machine that sits for any period of time. I have a pigtail hard wired to my battery and can just plug the charger in anytime I am not riding and it keeps the battery at full charge. My quad sits for five to six months over the Winter and I have never had an issue with a bad battery. My 660 was bought in the fall of 2000 and it still has the stock battery in it. :eek:

Here is the charger.

Here is the plug on my quad.It's the black and orange plug and it tucks neatly beside the battery when not needed.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Ok Guys. I will drain the fuel and charge the battery and let you guys know how i make out..

BTW-Is it easy to get the battery out and is there anything I should watch out for? I don't wanna zapped..lol.. Also I don't have a charger.. What is a good one? Thanks..:)
Dont pick it up by the neg poll and posi poll LOL...Dont take a leak on it LOL...Lots a things you can do to not get zapped LOL...Just wear some good and dry gloves you should be fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suggest a C TEK battery charger for any vehicle or machine that sits for any period of time. I have a pigtail hard wired to my battery and can just plug the charger in anytime I am not riding and it keeps the battery at full charge. My quad sits for five to six months over the Winter and I have never had an issue with a bad battery. My 660 was bought in the fall of 2000 and it still has the stock battery in it. :eek:

Here is the charger.

Here is the plug on my quad.It's the black and orange plug and it tucks neatly beside the battery when not needed.
Thanks.. That looks nice.. I just went on ebay to pick one up and there are so many models of that brand??? Which one should I get?

Also can anyone recommend another one that would be better or cheaper?

Thanks Guys..

·
VIP
1,070 Posts
The one's I have are the MULTI US 3300. They have a setting for motorcycle/ATV batteries, regular lead acid car batteries and even gel cel batteries like the Optima's.

They do have cheaper ones, but they only have one setting.

These are by far the best chargers out there, but they also work the best and I have yet to have problems with any of the ones I have.

We store vehicles in our shop from October to May every year and this season I had 20 cars, 2 Harleys and 3 atv's here. I have 8 CTEK chargers that I would swap from vehicle to vehicle every few weeks and they kept all the batteries fully charged for the entire season.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts