Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i have a 03 raptor 660 started up the day i got it..got it home an it wouldnt start..so i has a new starter clutch one-way an starter clutch shaft an bearing an ideal bearing put in. I also had a new battery an computer put in..an she started right up an ran great.. Then an hour latter i went to start it an it would just make a buzzing sound an a small black wire started to smoke.i traced the wire an it went into a bigger one witch had been cut an taped off an the other end went to the negative on battery. So i fixed the smoked wire an grounded the taped wire an it no longer smokes but still no start an make buzzing sound. I have pop started it an runs great but once i shut it off it wont start back up..i have also crossed bolts on starter solenoid an sparks but no start..im lost an running outta money i have over $800 into this wheeler please help

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
I suspect the primary ground cable is not properly connected or has failed. At the battery, there should only be one large black cable on the negative terminal. Other end of this cable should terminate at a bolt on the left side of the engine case just below the starter.

Use a jumper cable to connect from battery negative to engine case (anywhere). Does the problem go away? If so, replace, repair or reconnect the main ground cable.

BTW, you may need to charge your battery with an external charger first, before doing any of these tests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect the primary ground cable is not properly connected or has failed. At the battery, there should only be one large black cable on the negative terminal. Other end of this cable should terminate at a bolt on the left side of the engine case just below the starter.

Use a jumper cable to connect from battery negative to engine case (anywhere). Does the problem go away? If so, replace, repair or reconnect the main ground cable.
Already did that nothing diffrent happends still a buzzing

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Put jumper cables from auto battery to your quad - try again.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
OKay, we can't read your mind and the only thing we have to go by is what you tell us... since I've now made two suggestions which you have apparently already done without bothering to tell us, how bout YOU tell us everything YOU'VE done and everything you can about your symptoms, so there are no more surprises?

Tell us 1) symptom, 2) what you did to test, 3) results of test, for each and every symtom and test performed.

Describe in DETAIL how you used jumpers in several tests - I have doubts that you did exactly what I had intended.

Have you charged the battery, as suggested?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OKay, we can't read your mind and the only thing we have to go by is what you tell us... since I've now made two suggestions which you have apparently already done without bothering to tell us, how bout YOU tell us everything YOU'VE done and everything you can about your symptoms, so there are no more surprises?

Tell us 1) symptom, 2) what you did to test, 3) results of test, for each and every symtom and test performed.

Describe in DETAIL how you used jumpers in several tests - I have doubts that you did exactly what I had intended.

+1.............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok so my friend has the wheeler an trying to fix it..this is all he has told me it will run for ten min then stop

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Ok so my friend has the wheeler an trying to fix it..this is all he has told me it will run for ten min then stop
AGAIN, you're telling us something new - nowhere in your previous posts do you describe it repeatedly running then stopping - you concentrate solely on the relay buzz.

Get your symtoms well descrived and we can help you (or him), promise... keep us in the dark and it's going to be a long, hard journey for the both of you, also promise.

I suspect you have several unrelated problems and they will need to be attacked separately.

BTW, THIS is why I refused to try to troubleshoot your problem via PM - it is painful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never said it would run then stop b4 bc it just started to do that..there is know more buzzing my friend was able to get it to start so i figured out thr buzzing not starting problem ok....so now theres a new problem that has never happend an that is after about ten min of running it will die...i have gas,spark new battery,new starter clutch oneway...an that wire that had been smoking just needed to be grounded so im set on that also just need to figure out y in wont run more then ten min

·
Registered
81 Posts
I never said it would run then stop b4 bc it just started to do that..there is know more buzzing my friend was able to get it to start so i figured out thr buzzing not starting problem ok....so now theres a new problem that has never happend an that is after about ten min of running it will die...i have gas,spark new battery,new starter clutch oneway...an that wire that had been smoking just needed to be grounded so im set on that also just need to figure out y in wont run more then ten min
When it dies after the 10 minutes is it an all of a sudden thing like you've cut the kill switch or it sputters and dies as if it's out of fuel?

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Great! It's hard enough to troubleshoot 2nd hand as you are, we were down at 3rd hand, LOL... glad he was able to find and fix it.

Sure sounds like the previous owner had done a lot a hacking on the wiring!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great! It's hard enough to troubleshoot 2nd hand as you are, we were down at 3rd hand, LOL... glad he was able to find and fix it.

Sure sounds like the previous owner had done a lot a hacking on the wiring!
So looks like i still need help got the wheeler back today an i ride it an the shut it off an she starts right back up then an hour latter go to start an nothing then pop start an ride for awhile an then shut off starts back up an once again wait an hour an no start

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So looks like i still need help got the wheeler back today an i ride it an the shut it off an she starts right back up then an hour latter go to start an nothing then pop start an ride for awhile an then shut off starts back up an once again wait an hour an no start
Possible coil problem................:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts